Rhaenys

The wide gates of Dragonstone were opened before dawn broke in the Blackwater Bay. Rhaenys stood on the lofty balcony of angular Eastern tower that provided an extensive view of the coast below.

On either side of the twenty foot, heavy iron gates were two watchtowers entirely forged of black stone, same as the castle itself. Two dragon heads, the size of mammoth were carved below the columns, baring their teeth at guest's arrival. Their eyes glowed with fire at night, signalling the ships at sea.

Unlike bricks, stones and mud that built the castles of Westeros, Dragonstone was crafted out of stone liquefied by Valyrian magic. They were melt and twisted into most ornate shapes throughout the castle. Smaller dragons and gargoyles were lodged on the parapet of the towers and linking passages. .

Three nights ago ravens flew from the top of Stone Drum, each bearing call for their lesser Lords all over the east of Westeros.

The Velaryons were first to arrive. Headed by Daemon Velaryon their maternal uncle, sixteen ships answered their overlord's call. Their banner: silver seahorse on blue fluttered above their mast. Along with him came Aethan Velaryon.

Velaryons are counted as their most loyal supporters being the only other House that followed the Targaryens to the west. For years they were woven into Targaryen lineage. Rhaenys's mother herself was one. Even Corlys, the younger brother of Aethan was being fostered here by Visenya.

In the western horizon, Rhaenys spied another ship, closely trailed by three more. The early for was making it heard to recognize their sigil but as they reached the shore, Rhaenys recognized the three spirals of Massey.

Rhaenys descended down the spiraling stone, the shouts from the coast getting louder. Outside the main castle, the gust of salty sea air creeped through her silks and pricked like knives.

From the elevated ground, a narrow stone passageway ran from the here to the main gate through which their banner-men were now approaching. Inside the high walls, soft waves lapped in the sea blue lagoon; sea gulls cried around diving down suddenly to catch a fish.

Lord Triston Massey, a strong man of enormous built strode with his arms wide, one great axe hanging from his fastening around waist. Three spirals were sewn into his surcoat which flapped with the bitter wind.

Rhaenys remembered his father, the then lord of Stonedance. He used to sail to Pentos and brought back exquisite silk as gift to her. She had seen him last during her father's funeral. He held her hand as she saw fire devoured the last of her father, smoke watering her eyes.

Lord Massey had died after two turns of moon. A short bout of fever took him in the middle of the night and Triston had assumed his title as the lord of Stonedance the next morrow.

"My lady." He bowed to her. Following his stride, his entourage bowed as well.

"I trust you had safe journey." Rhaenys said as she escorted them to the central keep. They crossed the passage that led to the dungeons below and continued upwards to the great hall.

"The storm tarried us for a while or we could have arrived sooner."