Troubling Clues

(Samantha's PoV)

It had been over three weeks and still there was no sign of Anastasia. The king had hardly been seen out of his chambers for weeks. It was as if he did not even care about the elleth whom he had claimed to love! It was despicable. Thranduil had not even sent out any search parties, which was quite unlike him. There was also a new maid I had seen skipping about Mirkwood. She never stayed in one place for long, making it impossible to learn her identity. 

I sighed and looked down upon the forest from the tree branch I was sitting on. My mind wandered as I leaned back against the tree, precariously balanced on a rather thick branch. I could not believe that Anastasia had simply disappeared the way she did. I wanted to know why she left and where she had gone. The curiosity and worry was gnawing away at me and making me distance myself from most people.

"Samantha?"

The voice made me lose my balance and fall out of the tree. I closed my eyes and was about to transform when I felt someone grab me out of the air. I snapped my eyes open and looked up at the elf that had caught me.

"Hello Legolas. I could have transformed and flew the rest of the way down you know, but thanks for catching me," I said, flashing a smile.

He didn't respond, just stared at me.

"What? Do I have something on my face?" I questioned.

The prince blushed and shook his head.

"No- um. Sorry for causing you to fall out of the tree. " he stated.

"It's fine. After all, you caught me. It's a beautiful day out today isn't it?" I question, changing the subject.

Legolas smiled slightly.

"Yes. The woods seem more at peace than usual." the elf responded.

It was only then I realized he had yet to set me down.

"Ummmm, Legolas? Could you-"

"Sorry!" he exclaimed, realizing the same thing I had and setting me gently onto my feet.

I laughed as his face turned slightly pink. Hmm, interesting. We stood silently for the next few minutes, neither of us knowing what to say.

"I'm worried about Anastasia," I mumbled.

"As am I. I would think she'd tell us she was leaving. I have tried talking to my father and asking him about it but he just keeps sending me off."

"Could you try one more time?" I questioned.

"I will try, but I doubt he will talk to me. He is acting very strange as of late," the elven Prince sighed.

"I know. That's what worries me."

"What are you suggesting?"

"Nothing yet. However, we must remember that Lauren is a witch and is still waiting to finish what she started. Who knows what she could done to the king."

Legolas' expression darkened.

"You're right. If you're not doing anything I will go speak to him now." he suggested.

I nodded and walked back into the palace, seeing as we were right beside the entrance. Legolas walked with me through the castle until we finally reached Thranduil's room which was directly across from Anastasia's.

"Wait out here." Legolas whispered.

"Alright."

I watched quietly as the young prince knocked before entering his father's room. I leaned on the wall and pondered where Anastasia might've gone. The guards reported that they saw her ride into the woods atop Calamity with Eclipse running alongside them. They said she looked quite troubled. That elleth is confusing. I suppose that's why we get along so well. While waiting, I entered Anastasia's room. Everything was in its place, however; her weapons along with most of her clothes were missing. Eclipse's food bowl was also gone.

"Samantha." a voice called.

I turned to see Legolas standing in the doorway, his expression grim. Something was definitely bothering him.

"Soooo. What happened?" I questioned.

"As I thought, he didn't wish to speak to me-"

"Great."

"But, I managed to get a glimpse of him and his eyes were a bright blue, unnaturally at that. My father does not have those eyes, nor does he send me away continuously as he has been."

"Well then. This is a problem," I muttered.