Sleepover

By the end of the week, the band had their final song perfected. They could move and play in perfect rhythm, never missing steps or playing out of tune. They knew what they were doing and did it well. So Mr. Coran decided to add some fun to the routine. "Okay students, so today I thought we could try something different with the song! We're going to have some fun with our steps! This is supposed to be a fun song with rather loose choreography so enjoy it! Add some dance moves!" He spun in a circle, shooting finger guns at the group and grinning. The band nodded slowly before moving off to their formations for the song.

Keith started the song like he always did. He backed into the line of colorguard members and did the routine. He didn't need to make a fool of himself with "dance moves". He looked over at Lance to see what he was doing. Lance was dancing to the music, shaking his hips and throwing in extra moves that weren't part of the choreography. Keith smiled as the two formed a circle.

"Come on Keith! Show me what you got!" Lance yelled over the music, showing off his dance moves and flexibility by throwing in high kicks. Keith just rolled his eyes and laughed. Lance was actually kind of cute.

The colorguard boy grabbed his arm and tried to get him to dance. Keith shook him off and continued to play, trying to hide his smile and blush, but Lance had other ideas. He grabbed his friend and started spinning him in circles. Keith refused to dance but Lance kept trying, pulling on his arms and trying to stop his sticks, which resulted in some very painful finger smashing.

Lance stepped on his flag and tripped, bumping into another drummer behind him. Keith laughed a little and moved on to the next step, separating from Lance and walking away. He looked up at the drum majors to find Shiro staring right at him. Shiro winked and Keith rolled his eyes, sending him the middle finger between drum movements and mouthing 'Shiro what the hell!'

The song came to a stop and Mr. Coran started instructing again, flailing his arms and directing one of the trumpets to take a few steps over. Lance snuck up behind Keith and muttered something about how the trip was all part of his plan.

"Yeah sure," Keith rolled his eyes, but was still smiling. He was in the best mood he'd ever been and couldn't stop smiling. It had something to do with enjoying playing in the band, but it also had to do with Lance. He still couldn't believe the two had gotten choreographed to dance together for the new song. They had both groaned and bickered about it the first couple times, but had been enjoying themselves more and more with the recent practices.

"Okay guys, starting positions! We're running the whole show!" Mr. Coran pointed to the drum majors as the band scrambled across the field to their opening formations. The first song began and Keith played his best. He was starting to come out of his shell, spending less time playing in his own little world and more time listening to the rest of the world. He even noticed it in himself, smiling a bit to himself as he continued playing, backing up into a line with the colorguard. Lance was next to him, twirling and narrowly missing his hat with a flagpole. They didn't need a repeat of the times when he didn't miss. The song continued and ended, marking the start of the second song, which came and went faster than a blink.

Lastly, the third song began and Lance and Keith met in the center, circling and dancing. Lance was still putting his insanely choreographed extra moves into the fun parts and Keith was still trying not to laugh. He couldn't remember the last time he had this much fun at any of his other schools. Lance's face turned red as he passed Keith and the song ended with the two parting.

Eventually the rehearsal came to a close and the two walked back into the school with Hunk, Matt, and Pidge. They talked about the sleepover for that night, which would be happening at Hunk's house this time. He had made special cookies, which everyone was excited for. Keith, who had never even had Hunk's cooking, had heard it was legendary.