Chapter 2: Down for You

Chapter 2

What does it mean to be genuinely down for someone? In this day and age, we define it as being there for someone no matter the circumstances. If you were truly down for a person, their struggle became your struggle. It meant being there through thick and thin. Through the highest mountain and the lowest valley. Through every up and every down.

In simpler terms, it meant being stupid.

Nevertheless, I was stupid in love with my boyfriend of ten years, Dwight Harris. Dwight and I met when we were just twelve years old. The first time we laid eyes on each other, we knew it was love at first sight. He was my first everything. Good and bad. My first love and my first heartbreak. My first kiss and my first fight. We've been through a lot since we've been together, but no matter what, we always found our way back to each other.

Always.

The trials and tribulations we went through made me realize how down I was for him. Even before a title, I was willing to do anything for him. I was there throughout his cheating, jail time for selling dope, pregnancy scares with women—whatever. It didn't matter what the two of us encountered; I wasn't leaving my nigga.

In my mind, it proved how loyal I was.

How dumb I was. How stupid I was.

Because life was hitting us hard, we didn't have a choice but to be there for each other. After graduating from the University of Tennessee with a marketing degree, life hit us hard. I couldn't find a job that catered to my degree. Around the same time, Dwight was sentenced to five years in prison. Struggling to make ends meet, I had to work two jobs to keep myself afloat and Dwight comfortable in jail. Luckily, he didn't have to complete his entire sentence.

When he got out two years later for good behavior and proof of circumstantial evidence, I made it clear that we were done if he got caught being stupid again. Those years without him taught me that there was a difference between being down and being a fool.

And I was done with being a fool.

Those two years had to teach Dwight a lot, too, because he made the necessary steps in getting his life together. First, he cut off the people that didn't mean him no good and got his life together. Second, he finally came out of the closet and made our long-term relationship official. Lastly and most importantly, he stopped slanging and was trying to find work in a troubled economy. We were still struggling and living with his brother, but the come-up would be beautiful. All we had to do was stay the course.

"Do you have any other sizes?" A feminine voice sounded. I worked at a Men's Warehouse in Memphis, Tennessee. It was the worst job to exist. If you thought bridezillas were terrible, you hadn't seen an impatient man who wanted to get his tuxedo and be on his way.