Chapter 10: Possibilities for You

"Good morning Mr

"Good morning Mr. Pennington. You're looking good today. One of the young office secretaries cooed as I strolled to my office. She was looking me up and down, probably undressing me in her head.

"Thank you sweetheart. I'm feeling good as well." I replied back with a head nod.

Honestly I was feeling good. A week had passed since I let Marquis go. A week where I closed a never ending chapter of my life. Closure was what I needed and now that I had it, it felt like an anchor was removed from my feet. All I needed to do now was put that energy I had for Marquis into my work. Now that he was gone, I had clarity on what I needed to be focusing on in my life and a relationship wasn't it. The situation with Marquis taught me that one's commitment doesn't guarantee you their loyalty. It prepared me for my next someone  This time I would make sure that the next "someone" was mines no matter what. I was done with playing second fiddle to niggas I was better than. I couldn't do the drama of taking my special someone from their special someone anymore. Every single time, I ended up with the short end of the stick.
......
"Good morning Stacey, could you email me the files of the marketing plan for the Steele's?"

      "Mr. Pennington, Stacey hasn't made it in yet but I am sending the files to you right now. Also you have a Osman Turner requesting to meet with you at nine thirty."

I smiled at the sound of his voice coming from the phone receiver. There was something about his voice that was mesmerizing...magnetizing. Although I hadn't heard it many times, it was already becoming my new swan song.

      "Thank you Raheem, Send Mr. Turner in when he gets here."

       I leaned back in my black rolling chair at my desk so I could peer out of my office at him. He was sitting at Stacey's desk on the computer. "It seems that you're settling into the job just fine."

"I am. Everything is pretty much straightforward and Stacey is doing a good job in teaching me the ropes around here." Raheem said.

I licked my lips. "Fantastic and don't hesitate to come to me if you need any help.

       "I won't." I could feel him smiling over the phone.

       It got silent for a moment. Like an awkward long silence. An awkward long silence in which it felt like both parties had something to say on their mind but neither wanted to say anything.

      Raheem cleared his throat interrupting it though, ""Alright Mr. Pennington, I forward you the email. Anything else."

       "No sir. Im going to get to that. Again, don't forget that I'm here if you need any help. Placing the phone on the hook, I exhaled while closing my eyes. An pinging notification from my phone and computer caused me to opened my eyes. Smirking, I pulled up the email Raheem sent and attempted to work around the many thoughts in my head.