Chapter 18: Forever for You

Forever for You

Forever for You

      "Yes!" I said to myself as I read Raheem's text agreeing to meet me somewhere so we could talk.

       I had been texting him the entire night and day for his forgiveness. There was no way I would allow the best thing to ever happen to me to walk out of my life so easily. I mean, wasn't our relationship worth a fight? Couldn't he see I was willing to make the earth move if it meant him forgiving me and giving me a second chance? He was my life, and I couldn't see myself without him.

       Last night still played in my head over and over like a tape recorder. I knew one day Raheem would find out about Malik being my son. However, I wasn't expecting it to be so soon. Now my worst fear had come to life, and my baby was gone.

       I had tried my hardest to get him to see how much he meant to me. He only saw that I cheated with Yolanda, and Malik was here because of it. He had called me everything out of the book that night, and I could see the regret of loving me on his face. That alone hurt me to my core. He wanted nothing to do with me, and there was nothing I could do about it.

       Furthermore, for him to leave with that sucker nigga only made matters worse. I could tell Raheem's boss wanted him just by the way he looked at Raheem. It was all in his eyes. The nigga held the same look I had when I was pursuing Raheem. Raheem was oblivious to the nigga's true intentions, but even a blind man could see that the nigga was in love with my soul mate.

       The faint sound of a door opening took me out of my head. Once I saw Zach, I kissed my teeth and looked back at message threads between Raheem and me.

      "Bruh, you can't still be on that shit that happened weeks ago. I don't have that monkey on my back anymore. I'm clean." Zachary said to me without making direct eye contact.

       I halfway listened to Zach rant while shaking my head. I couldn't believe that Zach had returned to the same habit that consumed our mother. It was the reason he and I had a hard life. Why couldn't he just stay off of the pipe and live the everyday life he had established for himself. I just did not understand how he was willing to throw away everything he had going.

      "What made you pick that shit back up?"

       He exhaled hard before responding and taking a seat on the couch beside me. "Stress man. Months ago, it was a lot going on. I'm straight now, but all the shit that was on my mind had me wanting, well, needing that high to escape."

      "Is it the bills man? I swear as soon—

      "No Dwight. It has nothing to do with money or bills. You know I'm always on my shit when it comes to that." He responded, looking away from me to the blank television screen. "I was fucking with this broad, and shit got messy."

      "Got messy. What do you mean?"

      "I confused lust with love and wanted the person more than they wanted me, He responded. Played myself stupid by believing they would leave their man for me. I felt like I was the perfect nigga for them, but they felt otherwise. It's my fault though, for trying to mess up a happy home.