ten.

only one more chapter left.(or two? idk)

-

Danny didn't speak to me anymore. Ever since that day, he made sure to avoid me everywhere he went. His friends -- our friends -- decided to ignore me too, shutting me out of their jokes in lessons, at lunchtime and after school. It was like Danny made them see me as a plague in a matter of hours. It has only been two days since that night and Danny has managed to make me a loner.

I don't see his girlfriend anymore either. I assumed it was because they finally broke up but today, like a scene from a movie, they came strolling down the hall, hand in hand. Alex called them the power couple. He didn't see the way my eyes drifted down when he said that. Or the way my eyes started to water, tears threatening to spill out.

To Alex, Danny had left me. He had pushed me to the side and made me look like the fool. To Alex, Danny was to blame. 

But I knew the truth. I knew what happened that night and what Danny said about us. To Danny, I was to blame. I had created this fantasy in my head of us together based on one sloppy kiss after a drunken night of games together. Danny, in no way shape or form, was gay or had ever been interested in me.

"Jay," Alex called, his hand gripping the steering wheel. "You okay?"

I nodded, still looking out the window. School had finished hours ago and Alex thought it would be best to visit the carnival the town over. He said that it would make me happier but as he drove further and further away from our town, I couldn't help but feel like I was leaving something behind. 

I couldn't seem to figure out whether it was Danny or my family but the feeling didn't go away. Even when we stood in front of the park, the lights from the rides blinding me, I didn't want to be there. Alex, on the other hand, had this big smile on his face. He stared up at the rides, his face showing instant fascination. 

He was very different in relation to me. I could see, just from his eyes, that he wanted to be there. That Alex regarded this as something perfect. Alex seemed to see the best in things and me? I didn't see anything. 

All I saw were crowds, lights and Alex. 

Just Alex.