eighteen.

It had been a week since Danny's failed exam and so far, to him, things have been going rather well. Jay hasn't spoken to him in a while and after a few practice papers, he was sure that he would be able to ace his retake exam. All he had to do was hold it together for two more days and then he could get his teacher and coach off his back simultaneously.

So, after a few hours in the library, Danny started to pack up his things, intent on making his way home in time for dinner. He quickly shoved his books into his bags, making his way out of the library. Despite planning to stay at the library, Danny forgot to take his car this morning which meant he was plagued with the task of walking back home.

He decided to walk quite quickly, wanting to avoid walking home in the dark. With his head slightly downcast, headphones in and eyes forward. Even though their neighborhood wasn't considered to be dangerous, Danny didn't want to have any distractions at that moment.

The time was currently 6.45pm and with the way the way the sky got dark quickly, Danny just wanted to get home safely. He passed the park where him and Jay had spoken just a few weeks ago, trying so hard to not look at it. Danny didn't want any reminders of what happened that dreadful night to their friendship. If anything, he wanted to forget it ever happened and leave this god forsaken town without looking back.

He was tired of the expectations that came from everyone, the responsibilities he had from school and his parents and the way everyone seemed to look up to him. In all fairness, Danny didn't think that he was that great. To him, he was your average kid— someone who loves school and football. But because Danny was good at running and tackling, everyone placed pressure on him to make him the best quarterback ever.

Danny just wanted a normal life — normal family, normal friends and a normal relationship. He didn't want the burden of his parents dreams to fall in his shoulders or his friends to be absolute dicks. Danny hated the way he lived. But he was in his last year, only a couple more months left, and he wasn't bothered to turn his life upside down so quickly.

"Oh come on, you're not serious." Came a voice from the park. Danny's eyes quickly shifted, focusing on a figure sitting on the bench, another person beside them. Normally, Danny would have walked quickly, not bothered about what they were doing. But he had heard that voice before. It was familiar. Too familiar.

It belonged to Jay.

Danny couldn't see who sat beside him. Part of him didn't want to see—fearing it was another guy. But another part? Another part of Danny was curious. It wanted to know who the other person was to Jay and why they were out so late. Danny wanted to throw all these questions at Jay, demanding answers. But they weren't friends anymore.

At this point, they were nothing. So Danny gripped his backpack tighter, forcing his feet to carry him a couple more steps to his house, not wanting to look back.

It was probably Alex, He thought. Probably.

sorry for updating so late. Schools been tough and I kind of forgot about wattpad all together. enjoy.