Chapter 7- Owning Wrongs

The great Pharaoh of an ancient Egypt awoke instantly. Fragments of a disturbing dream crashed through his mind, leaving him perturbed in the coming dawn. He closed his eyes and calmed his breathing. Soon a glimmer of tranquility overcame him. Don't do anything rash, he commanded himself. Now is not the time to repeat past mistakes. In fact, he told himself, this is the perfect time to make amends to save this world, if something so significant was attainable with the encumbrance of his sins.

*---*

     "Master, the Pharaoh is coming here," a shivering servant informed, crouching low in a respectful bow.

     "Bah, ha, ha, ha!" the laughter crackled though the dark stone corridor. "Why?!"

     "I don't know, we don't know. My partners are following him. He seems to be coming here," he sputtered.

     "Is and seems are two different words," the harsh voice explained. "Do you know that?"

     "Ye, yes, yes Master?!"

     "Fool!" the Millennium Rod was stretched over him now. "You don't know!"

     "Please, please forgive me Master!" the servant begged, never daring to look at his Master full in the face. "The others, they weren't sure. I simply relayed what was understood!" he pleaded.

     "Oh," footsteps came closer, "oh, you will understand now."

     The servant, knowing how unforgiving his Master is, peeked faintly from underneath his hood and saw yellow light emitting from the Millennium Rod. He beseeched again. "Please Master forgive me."

     "Enjoy your vacation!" the Master's voice echoed as the light from the Millennium Rod snagged another unexpected victim.

*---*

     He walked tall and proud among the joggers, the early commuters and stray dogs. He knew where he was going. Ever so often he could see someone trailing behind him. He inhaled sharply and continued towards his destination. His Millennium Puzzle showed him the way.

     Walking briskly now, more definite in any decisions he had ever made in all his life, he continued onward, taking much deep breaths that he could with his blue and white duel disk gleaming in the tender sunlight.

*---*

     "Well, well, well," Marik spat, his veins on his forehead appearing monstrous in the light, "what do we have a here, a stray, a lost pup, a suicidal fool?"

     "No Marik, I am not here to fight," the Pharaoh said with ease. "I am here to talk."

     "To talk?" mimicked Marik, drawing himself taller over his foe on the burgundy carpeted floor. "To talk?! What do you have to tell me that is so important that you have to come here to see me? I do accept telephone calls you know," he added thoughtfully, but despite his intention it came out as a threat.

     "I am here to make you a deal," violet eyes took in the friend, confidant and aid he once knew well in a past life.

     "A deal?" Marik asked, his Millennium Rod glowing now. "A deal?" he sputtered. "A deal!" he laughed wildly, hands outstretched. After calming down, Marik inquired mockingly, "What do you have to propose Pharaoh?"

     "Retribution."

*---*

     I woke up alone, the bed sheet ruffled and torn. The sunlight entered this room/dungeon and I closed my eyes, reliving the memories of last night. It was wonderful. I let out a sigh of exhaustion. I turned on my side comfortably.