My First Impression

Dear Tyler, 

You asked me what my first impression of you was. I said that you were small, and I'm not saying you weren't short, because you were, but there's so much more than that. You knew me. Right when I laid eyes on you for the first time, you knew me. You knew that I was gay. I had given you that key to the closet that I was stuck in, and you took it and I trusted you to keep it safe for me. You made being stuck in the dark not so painful, and I would have never given that key to anyone else. Even then, I knew that you were special. I knew that you were kind.

When I first met you, you were this untouchable icon that I had looked up to and had admired. I had a fraction of the confidence that you had, and a fraction of the subscribers that you had, but it didn't matter. You made me feel like I belonged, especially in this new world of YouTube that I was discovering. That's what you do to me: you make the world not so big and scary. With you, you're just Tyler and I'm just me, and nothing else mattered. When I first met you, it was just you and me, and that was enough. I was enough.

When I said that my first impression of you was that you were small, I couldn't have been more wrong. Tyler, you are loud. I've never met someone quite as loud as you before. If you're a Beyonce concert, then I'm a singer-songwriter at a small indie coffee shop.

When I first met you, you were perfect. I know now that you aren't, but I'm not either. 

When I first met you, you were this masterpiece of art, and I had to stand behind the red line because you were untouchable. When I saw you, you captivated me. Your eyes were like constellations. They were shimmery and mysterious and when I looked into them, suddenly I saw everything but nothing all at once because no matter how long you looked, there was still beauty to be found. When I first met you, I thought that you were beautiful. It didn't matter that you hair was perfectly quiffed. It didn't matter that your cheeks were perfectly pink. It didn't matter that your smile was drawing me closer every second. It didn't matter because you were beautiful in every way possible, and just looking at you changed my life. Every day, especially the first one, I looked at you and all I saw was pure beauty. Before I met you, I thought that beauty was a superficial thing. When I met you, I realized that pure beauty is so much more than that. 

When I first met you, I didn't know it at the time, but you changed my life. Everything that you are and everything that you will be. I will never forget that first moment when I saw you, because you were everything but small, Tyler.