chapter v | Blood

CHAPTER V
BLOOD

᥏ MY WAKING WAS COLD AND QUIET. And even still, I shivered beneath the ensemble, the covers, and nuzzling into my Master's chest. How unlike me it was, but I couldn't say that I was at all in the right state of mind.

I knew well what I was experiencing the moment I awoke, sitting up groggily. Eros, it was there again, as prominent as it had always been. The first thing I did, of course, was grumble a few unpleased Spanish remarks.

No only that but I was enervated by how much he, the King, had drank from me. Had he tried to kill me?

"I know you're not asleep," I grunted.

"Who was pretending?" He kept his eyes closed as he spoke, his borderline monotoned timbre quiet but articulate, clear in everything he said. I stared down at he who had a hand behind his head and the other resting on his abdomen.

I was seeing him in the dark, not a candle lit in the room, withal the veins in his body were still clear to see. He was utterly naked, covers closed to his waist, I had no doubt.

Birds were chirping their jubilant songs in harmony with one another, fortifying the theory that it was still the very early hours of morning. The sun wasn't even carefully applying it's pink and purple paints to the sky which was its canvas.

There was only calm throughout the manor, only a Vassal sweeping in the downstairs parlour, a Minder snoring in a chair meant for him to keep watch. None of that was happening, sleeping in that chair in a crooked state, as if that were his bed.

"Go back to bed, why don't you?" This was no inquiry. He was telling me what to do.

"Why?"

"You're loud."

"But I'm whispering."

"Your thoughts. You think too loudly and too much."

"So you want me to talk more?" It was the only reason I didn't speak so much. I thought about everything in that moment.

"Sure."

I turned my head. "I don't understand you."

"Good." I just knew a smirk was pulling up his mouth. "If be concerned if you did."

"Concerned? Now, now. I know you're lying."

" 'Concerned' may be too strong a word."

"I realise." I more than realised. I could completely relate. Nothing had irritated my mother more than when I'd used words I never meant to use. She was literal, and wanted me to be literal. An understandable feat, but there was no way I could comprehend that then. With time, I did though. But in the end, it was too late for all of that. "I remember nothing I said last night."

Mischief easily worked its ways around the edges of his mouth to form the significant tale of a tickled smirk.

"What did I say?"

"Now, now, Pet. You know the truth." He sluggishly opened his eyes in the alike manner to a cat, too independent to be inconvenienced with trivial matters. Carinus squinted at me. "You're always making a bloody fool of yourself."

I straightened, hot distress creeping up on my cheeks. "Well?"

"Nothing important, really."

"Oh, gosh." I buried my face in my hands, knowing full well I had said things the sober me would never say. I remembered the dull image of endeavouring hard to make fast on him. He was having none of it of course. I remained teasing at him, poking him with seductive charm until I could get close enough to try and bite him again, only to be shoved back into place again.