[6]

the sun glared through the small gaps in the curtains. streaking light in to the otherwise dark room. outside, birds could be heard chirping, interrupted sometimes by a passing by car. dogs could be heard barking at their owners, while cats could be heard meowing for food or from alleyways as they fought one another.

craig shifted in his bed, rolling onto his back. his eyes shot open as he thought to himself, this is the day... he bolted upright, swinging his feet over the edge and taking a deep breath.

"fuck," he exhaled. "it's my birthday."

he rubbed his face hastily with his hands, sighing as he did. he was too scared to see what name was written on his chest. i'll wait until the party to know who it is, he thought, knowing the surprise would be better.

he stood up and grabbed his phone, yanking it off the charger and unlocking it. he went through all of his apps that had notifications, seeing some people had wished him happy birthday and others were random things. he placed his phone down and changed out of the clothes he slept in, keeping the shirt on in fear of seeing the name on his chest.

he swiped his phone on the desk and rushed out of his room. as he walked down the stairs he sent a text to kyle.

craig: what time is the party?

he flicked the kettle on and grabbed a mug, putting coffee and sugar into his cup. he grabbed a bowl, pouring cereal into it and then milk. the kettle finished and he quickly put the water in, no milk. he sat at the table and had his breakfast in silence. until his family all woke up themselves. they trudged down the stairs and when they seen craig all perked up, remembering the day.

"happy birthday, craig!" his younger sister, ruby, shouted while running over and hugging him.

"thanks, rubes," craig smiled, hugging back.

"i got you a present," she whispered. "wanna see?"

he nodded, "sure, dude."

she grinned, something else in her expression. she rushed back up the stairs. craig's dad made himself a cup of coffee and sat at the table, his mum soon joining after.

"happy birthday, son," his dad had a sip of his coffee.

"your father and i got you a little something to celebrate today. i'm sure you are going to see your friends so we will give it to you later," her lip started quivering.

"mum, don't cry..." craig reached a hand over patted his mum on the arm.

"oh, craig..." she sobbed. "you're so grown up- now you know your soulmate! you won't need us much longer."

"mum, it's okay. you will still have ruby for a few more years and it's not like i won't see you again ever after today," he laughed.

"so, son, who is it?"

"who is what?" craig looked to his dad. "oh, my soulmate? i don't know. haven't checked yet."

"what? why not?" his dad raised an eyebrow at him.

"i'm waiting 'till i see my friends, so we can see it together," craig admitted. so far it was hard to not peek and see who it was since it had been a major stressor to him for a few days now and he had only just woken up.

his dad nodded, yet again taking a sip of his coffee, "well, i gotta get to work soon so i might as well begin getting ready."

his dad stood up and headed back up the stairs. craig's phone buzzed in his pocket and he pulled it out, seeing he received a text from kyle.