My Other Life

Chapter One - My Other Life

I remember that as if it had happened moments ago. That strong scent of a forest filling all the spaces of my smells. I remember someone screaming. The way I felt his body, telling him to get up. I remember seeing my best friend die right before my eyes.

I closed my eyes, to make the burns go away; to make sure the tears do not fall. That memory was too painful to think about. Though for some reason something kept telling me to think about it.

Someone had dragged me away from my best friend. Saving me from the attackers. Saving me, but not him. I was screaming at the person who was taking me away to let me go. But my kidnapper ignored me. The kidnapper smelt of the forest, and it was a nice nature smell, but I was caring about my best friend who had got murdered in front of me. I gave up fighting against my kidnapper and felt all my muscles drop in minutes and darkness swallow me up.

A tear rolled down my cheek slowly, making my face itch, but I ignored it. Oh best friend, why did you have to leave me? Why did you have to die? Why not me? I feel so alone and empty without you, come back.

The tear fell from my cheek and landed on the floor. I heard the sound of heavy rain fall from outside. I sighed, knowing that someone would be in my room in moments. Three. Two.

"Rena, do you need your lesson earlier?" The maid, Kathy asked me sweetly and in a caring way.

I sighed and shook my head at her. Kathy came over to me and patted me on the shoulder.

"Are you thinking about him?" Kathy wanted to know, in her normal, nice tone.

Swallowing, I built up the nerve to speak. "Y-yes," I croaked out.

 Kathy gave me a sympathetic smile.

"You need to forget about him," Kathy told me.

Anger burned up inside of me. Forget about him! How could I forget about him? He died right in front of me! My best friend who I loved so very much. The question roamed around my head, as if checking to see if it had the answer. Why him?

The fire place, crackled with fire. The fire grew bigger and bigger and the rain outside poured heavier and heavier. The tears that were begging to burst out did, and the anger inside of me increased.

"ASH!" Kathy called out.

No, not him. My mind groaned. I don't need Ash to tell me step by step about how to control my powers. It's like i am in Infant School. And there is something that makes me hate him, but something that tells me to hold onto him. Weird, huh? Though Ash, is all high and mighty.

With his dark hair that spikes at the back. A weird mixture of light grey and tinges of dark amber. And I pretty sure they are rimmed with the deepest and darkest of all blues. Ash had pale, white skin. Sharp canines, more like fangs. Blood red lips. And he was just really tall. Although, that was not unusual, especially because he was a vampire. The highest of all vampire, a voice annoyingly reminded me at the back of my head.

The door opened and he came in and Kathy left. Making a familiar scent come in the room.

"Rena, you need to focu-,"

"I know what I need to do, so just let me do it," I snapped.

The fire crackled loudly.

"Rena," Ash warned. "Think about a garden filled with flowers or whatever makes you happy,"

The only thing that would make me happy, was if he was here with me and not you. I thought angrily. But, I sighed and obeyed Ash's orders and thought of my best friend and I walking in a garden filled  with pretty flowers.