Chapter 9 [wip/AN]

It didn't occur to either Ryota or Toru that splitting the Moriuchis was as hard as splitting an atom. As far as they can remember from their science classes back in middle school, splitting an atom spells nuclear explosion in big red, beacon lights. If they speak in standard English, it means disaster. And that's how Ryota found himself, desperately consoling a hysterically weeping Ami cowering away from him.

"Gomenasai! Hontou ni gomenasai!" Ryota kowtows before a shaking Ami, he looks up to see if she's calmed down yet but he witnesses her try to scoot away from him.

Ryota slams his head on the ground, screaming a final apology before he contemplates that this was a bad idea after all. Damn Toru and his voice of conscience. Ryota could already hear the guitarist's I told you so. He wonders if Toru is experiencing the same disaster as he has now. His contemplation, however, is cut short when he hears Ami sob.

"Please don't hurt me."

Ryota stills when he hears it. Looking up at her once more, he sees the wild fear in her eyes and the way her lips quiver. He stares, afraid to even breathe because he thinks that any movement from him would break her like bullets shattering glass. He lowers his head slowly, remembering vividly the look on Taka's face when he let go of Ami's hand to go with Toru. Ryota has never seen a face full of desperate worry on anyone before, but now he can imagine that same face twist into anger at what he's done.

He hopes fervently that Taka wouldn't do something like burn his secret stash of Naruto volumes, or even worst, buy his own tour bus so Ryota would stay the fuck away from him and Ami. Ryota groans in frustration and breathes to calm down.

"Ami-chan," He calls, adding the honorary suffix to show her that he's friendly and not a threat. "I'm going to call Taka for you."

And that's when Ryota started to regret being a suspicious motherfucker.

---

Three hours ago...

Walking back to their tour bus after their Nagisaen performance, Ryota elbows Toru and gives him a look. Toru sighs resignedly, eyes the bassist with slight ire, and proceeds to drape an arm around Taka.

"Hey, let's go out for a drink. Today was a big one and I can't help but feel pleased with our hard work. Celebrations are in order!" Toru tells the smaller man and turns them around, walking away from the bus.

Taka looks over his shoulder and pauses in his step.

"Aren't Ryota and Tomoya coming?" He asks and ducks out of Toru's arm.

"They are."

"Oi, Ryota, Tomoya! Toru's offering drinks! His treat!" Taka calls and Tomoya whips his head back at him immediately.

"Free booze? I'm in!" Tomoya cheers.

"I didn't say it was my treat!" Toru complains and Ryota shoots him a sharp look before grinning.

"Arigatou, Leader-san!" Ryota shouts at him and Toru presses his lips together. This plan to nose into the Moriuchis' relationship is more trouble than it's worth. It's probably going to bite the two of them in the end.

"Ah, damnit." Toru shakes his head and turns back to Taka. "Let's go then."

"Wait, I gotta check with Ami." Taka steps away from Toru and jogs to the bus.

"Sure." Ryota lets him pass and follows inside the bus.

They enter the vehicle and see Ami on the couch, playing with Taka's phone. She raises her head upon hearing their arrival and places the phone on the couch.