The Thyme Travelers

Chapter Four: When Sci-Fi Becomes Sci-True

Wednesday, Thursday, and Friday went by in a blur. The days blended together and I only realized it was Friday when the last bell rang and it was time to leave the school. I rejoiced to myself, happy that the weekend was here. I also had to meet Zach after school for the project. For some weird reason he hadn't been in school the last three days of the week. I wondered if he got suspended, but when I asked others they just shrugged and said, "Yeah, probably." Since he punched Loom that was the only thing I could think of. I put together my backpack at my locker and glanced over at Zach's locker. I don't know why; I knew he wasn't going to be here now, but I did anyways.

I walked out of the school (leaving my clarinet; I don't practice) silently thinking to myself. I wondered what had happened to Zach. I walk home every day, and today was no different. I was going to stop at my house to drop my stuff off and then I was going to ride my bike to Zach's house. I looked up where he lived, and it wasn't far from my house. Today was relatively chilly; the leaves of the trees beginning to fall off their branches, signifying autumn had definitely come.

I had been enjoying my silent walk until I heard some footsteps behind me. Well, because of the leaves all I heard was crunch, crunch, crunch. But still. I lowered my head and became more alert of what was going on behind me without turning around. I heard whispers and occasionally my name popped out. I really didn't care what they were saying because I was used to being talked about (ahem, blue hair). Then I heard stone. I hoped they were talking about rocks, because if they weren't, they were in for it big time.

"Zachariah Stone," they whispered behind me to each other. I stopped cold in my tracks. I felt myself make fists, but I didn't understand why. I didn't know Zach that well anyways, but I still felt like... we had known each other for ages, even though I didn't know anything about him. It was odd.

"Have we struck a nerve here, gentlemen?" one guy said, a little too loudly. I recognized that voice too well. High, squeaky, nasally, and annoying. Jackson Loom. "I told you she and Stone were going out." I took a deep breath and kept walking. I had nothing to say. If I said anything against what they were saying they weren't going to listen. "Cassandra and Zach sitting in a tree," he sang nasally. Oh my freaking lord.

"Oh my God, are you FIVE?" I whirled around. Jackson had a black eye, which gave me satisfaction to see. Loom's two henchmen gave me a death glare.

"Are you gonna see your boyfriend?" he teased. I had to think of something quick-and I'm a relatively quick thinker. I paused and breathed.

"Yeah, I am," I said. "I'm sorry you haven't found you're boyfriend yet." I faked a sad face. His henchmen were beginning to approach me, cracking their knuckles.

"Don't insult me. You'll end up with two black eyes," Loom threatened. One henchman ran to me, swinging his fists wildly. I, much nimbler than the guy, ran out of the way and he punched a tree. While he was busy rubbing his hand I decided it would be smart to make a run for it before I got hurt. Also, it would be smart not to run home. I don't need them knowing where I live. I ran and ran and ran, taking different streets. I didn't run the risk of getting lost; I knew every detail of my neighborhood. I kept checking behind me to make sure I had lost them, and eventually, I did. Actually I ended up three houses down from my own, and I (alertly) walked home.

"Booger, where have you been?" Eliza questioned me as soon as I set foot in the door. I looked at the time. It was 3:30, fifty minutes after school got out.

"Running for my life," I mumbled. I threw my backpack in the kitchen. "Is mom home?" I asked.

"Yeah, she's upstairs on the computer." I climbed the first few steps and called out, "Mom! I'm going to a friend's house to work on science!"