The Thyme Travelers

Chapter Sixteen: The Race Begins 

My first impulse was to run, and that seemed to be Zach's reaction as well. He seemed to be urging me to run, but I couldn't just leave him here in the hands of the CIA.  

"What time machine?" I asked innocently, answering the lady. She frowned and the man stepped forward. 

"You know exactly what time machine, Ms. Thyme," replied the man, in a deep commanding voice. Zach continued to struggle against him, to no advantage. I eyed Zach nervously but then made eye contact with the man again. 

"Can you please let my friend go? What has he done?" I questioned, purposefully ignoring the request for a tour of the time machine. He seemed to hold Zach tighter because I saw him wince.  

"I suggest you let us see the time machine, Cassandra," said the woman, sly like a snake. She had a Russian accent. Then, with quickness I had only seen on those martial artists who practice mantis style kung fu, she ran to me, squeezed both pressure points above my elbow, and I crumpled to the ground as she held my wrists behind me, tying them with really rough twine. Zach tensed. Trying to ignore the pain, a new feeling came in...one of suspicion. 

"So..." I said, my arms throbbing, "You know who I am, but I don't know who you are. We haven't been introduced." The man momentarily took his hand from Zach's mouth and dug into his suit, drawing a wallet. It flipped open, flashing a badge. I was able to catch a glimpse of a weapon in his suit, which must've been why Zach hadn't called for help. I read what the badge said. CENTRAL INTELIGENCE AGENCY. I smirked. 

"Is this supposed to scare me?" I asked. The lady forced me up to my feet and held out a knife.  

"Does this?"  

"Slightly..." My voice quivered. "But next time you order fake badges, I suggest you check the spelling. Intelligence is spelled with two L's, not one. You get an A for effort, though," I said. The man obviously grew angrier, judging by the beautiful shade of scarlet his face turned, and the woman held the knife less than an inch from my nose. Then it seemed as though she saw the cut that Loom had given my arm, and eyed it with curiosity. She moved the knife. 

"Don't!" yelled Zach. All of us were surprised. This was the first time that he had ever raised his voice.  

"Then we suggest you help us," said the woman, sneering. Zach hung his head. 

"The key"- 

"Zach no!" I interrupted. "Don't tell them!" The knife moved dangerously close to my neck. Zach was about to give them the key to unlock the modular (which had locked behind us when we stepped out).  

"They'll kill you!" he shot back.  

"They won't kill me. What good am I if I'm dead? And if I die, what other motive do they have to get the project?" I answered. The lady grew annoyed and with the tip of the Wusthof penetrated my skin. It hurt a little, but I had to keep a brave face. Zach fell to his knees with helplessness. The key fell from his pocket in slow-mo. I saw the man's eyes glow. Crap. He lunged for it and grabbed it, but Zach swung out his feet and knocked the man down. The key went in the air, and both the woman and I tried to catch it but not before she punched me in the gut and caught it herself. I fell to my side, feeling like I needed to hurl NOW, but I kept it in.  

"Ha! We got it!" exclaimed the man, picking Zach up roughly. The woman did the same with me and they shoved us towards the modular door. She handed me to the man and the man held my hands while the woman opened the door. It swung inward and Zach and I were kicked in, the duo also walking in, locking the door behind them. They glared down at Zach and I on the floor.