The Thyme Travelers

Chapter Twelve: Zach and Cassi Sitting in a Tree. Hiding from the CIA

I didn't want to see anyone else that day. Well, with an obvious exception. Zach. I just wanted to be alone, but with him. It was weird. No one else could comfort me. Not my parents, not Aunt Alice, not even myself. By the way, I did check in with Aunt Alice at eight, and then left the house again with Zach.

We rode our bikes to a local park. I was still crying, but doing so subtly. When we dropped our bikes at a bike rack, we began walking. Zach held my hand without shame, comforting me by speaking softly, saying, "Cassi, it's okay. It's okay." Zach found a weeping willow tree (how convenient) with leaves reaching the ground. He took me over to it, pushed aside some of the hanging branches and we sat down against the trunk. When I had stopped crying for a little, he looked at me.

"Cassi, we can save Eliza. You know it. But we're going to have to wait a little. The CIA is still on our tails and it would be foolish to go back this four-day weekend. I know you want to save your sister, and we will, but don't worry, the time machine can wait. It's inside a secure building. And I have the key." He pulled out a key ring and shook it, making several keys clink. I bit my lip to keep from crying again. He put his arm around my shoulder and we ended up situated that his arm was around my shoulder and I was leaning against his chest. If you can picture that.

"Zach, thank you. For being here. I'm sorry," I said, feeling self-conscious. "I'm a mess." Remember, there was still that part of my brain, the SMART, LOGICAL side of my brain (that would be the left side) that was telling me that Zach and I were only science partners and it wouldn't be right to be more than that. And then there was my heart. Which told me the complete opposite. Of course. My life must always be this complicated. There was a gust of wind and I shivered.

"You okay?" he asked me. I looked down at my flimsy Harvard jacket and before I could say anything, Zach had stood up, took off his own classic leather jacket and offered it to me, eyes glinting and his trademark smile on his face. He was wearing a black long-sleeved shirt with the sleeves rolled up about a quarter up. I was about to accept it when I caught myself.

"Um, Zach, I'm... I'm okay. I just felt a chill." Lie.

"Liar," he said teasingly. "Take it. I'm actually, um, pretty warm," he looked at the ground, blushing, but then back at me seriously. "I'll be fine." Well, I'm not going to win this, am I? I took the jacket and put it on, sitting back down against the trunk and putting one of my knees up to my chest and leaving the other one out. Zach didn't bother to roll his sleeves down and sat next to me. He put his arm back around me. I could feel him breathing in sync with me, and I thought I felt my heart flutter a little out of rhythm. Right. What is it about being around Zach that I love so much? I just feel so comfortable. Happy.

"How can you tell when I'm lying?" I asked. Zach chuckled softly.

"I'm just one of those people who know how to find the truth. Your index finger on your left hand twitches when you lie." Wow. "When Jackson lies, his right knee buckles slightly." Geez. He's practically daring you to lie to him and see what happens. Exciting. I like smart people.

"What happens when you lie?" I challenged. Zach rubbed my back.

"My blood pressure rises. Just like every other human on the planet." I laughed.

"No, really," I said.

"My right shoulder twitches. Just a little."

"Zach, are you sure you aren't cold?" I asked, changing the subject.

"Cassi, I'm fine. Don't worry about me. Are you feeling better?" he asked me. I took a deep breath.

"Yes. I'm okay." And it wasn't a lie this time. "I know that we are going to save Eliza."