Chapter Eleven: Almost

Todoroki //

I tell Yaomomo all of the details from our weird experience from the other day. And repeating it out loud to another person doesn't make it any less awkward than the physical experience.

I'm still utterly shocked by my actions. Why would I do that?

"I was right...you're crazy," Momo admits in between fits of laughter.

"There's no way I can ever go back after that," I say, my head buried in the safety of my hands. The very hands I used to touch Izuku's lips impulsively. My fingertips almost had the sensation and warmth of him burned into them. Probably because I've replayed the moment at least one thousand times in my head. And even when I tried to think of something else, seeing my hand hit his lips just pushes all other thoughts from my brain.

God, I'm going to be embarrassed about this forever. I can't even take my head out of my hands, I'm blushing so fiercely.

Get a hold of yourself, Shouto.

"Do you know if he likes you back?"

"Probably not!"

"Are you giving up? After everything?"

"I might just have to."

"Come on, Shouto. You're just going to give up without really knowing?"

"He's obviously not interested."

"You don't know that."

"..."

"Do you?"

"He never said it to me, but it's obvious. I know it, Yaomomo," I sigh. "...But I guess I'll go back."

I tell her about the 'date' at the festival. I can't just drop off the face of the planet after I told him I would seem him that day. And I can't say I wasn't at least a little bit excited to party. Based on the energy I usually see from the townsfolk, I know this will be tons of fun.

We have lots of parties at the castle, but they're never enjoyable since I'm expected to dance and flirt with girls the whole time. We all know how I feel about that.

It's nice to think I can actually spend some genuine and lighthearted time with Izuku, even if I'm conflicted with my emotions right now. I only sigh. There's too many possibilities, and I'm too tired to think about it.

"I'll sleep on it, I guess."

"Really think about it, okay?"

I nod.

"Goodnight."

...

Waking up the next morning, I smell adventure in the air. It's a crisp sensation, and I know what it means. I can't keep myself away from that place no matter how much I want to.

I say a quick goodbye to Yaomomo, and she seems happy I've decided to go back with a good mood. Even though my spirits were high, the weather didn't seem to want to cooperate. The sky was painted over with light grey clouds, and cold breezes were constantly flowing in the wind and wrapping around me like a scarf.

As I'm approaching the bakery, I am silently praying that things won't be awkward. I've decided I'm not going to keep asking for his feelings in return to mine, but I at least want this to be a good friendship. I keep screwing things up, though, so I'm not sure if things will be normal. A crush this intense is hard to ignore, but I just might have to for right now.

"Hi, Mrs. Midoriya," I greet when I walk in. "Izuku."

"Hi, Sho. Please, call me Inko."

"Okay..."