SILENT KNIGHT

Nine years ago

Hee Hyeon-Ju was the type of woman people hated, loud and extravagant the two-time widow, aka the spider, was a UFO in Seoul's high society. Ji-Seong had mixed feelings about Hyeon-Ju since he discovered she was at the root of his father's marriage with Shin Mi-Kyung.

"Ji-Seong, come and say hello to my friend," Mi-Kyung said.

Mi-Kyung was not an evil woman, she even happened to be a devoted wife, and she attempted to be a good mother, but she was not his.

"Annyeohaseyo," Ji-Seong said with of the politeness of his social status.

"Annyeohaseyo," Hyeon-Ju returned.

The woman's voice alone could bend any man's will. In constant seduction, Hyeon-Ju used her charms on both men and women. Petite with a liking for 9inch heels and bright fuchsia lipstick, the woman oozed with sex appeal.

The two women met up regularly for brunches. Hyeon-Ju's stare would always linger on Ji-Seong. Uneasiness crept over the boy, and it cooled down with the sensation he had of feeling desired.

Hyeon-Ju's habit left Ji-Seong perplexed. Was she a cougar?

The thought wasn't farfetched. Hyeon-Ju owned nightclubs and underground casinos; having a gigolo would fit the tale.

Picture perfect Ji-Seong was the ultimate definition of the righteous boy, intelligent, handsome he made young women see shamans to have him bewitched and mother's praying Buddha to make him their son-in-law.

Despite his features and human qualities, Ji-Seong was also the son of Chae Gyeong Tak, former minister of defense and CEO of Chae Innovatics, a company specializing in creating new technology weaponry, sold the South Korean army and highest bidders. Chae Gyeong Tak was the Lord of war and one of the country's wealthiest men.

If people envied Ji-Seong, he, on the other hand, felt shame, every contract his father signed felt like pulling a trigger on someone's life.

His father saw his son's choice to become a doctor as a sign of rebellion, but Ji-Seong felt it was something he had to do to compensate for his father's life trades.

Chae Gyeong Tak was always abroad, notably in African countries. Ji-Seong preferred to ignore these voyages' reasons. Mi-Kyung tried to fulfill motherly duties, but it was impossible to cross the lines Ji-Seong drew.

The woman married his father with the conditions her husband imposed. One of them consisted of never having a child or even bringing up the subject. Chae Gyeong Tak refused to find himself in the heritage and other financial feuds common to chaebol families.

Which woman in her right mind, young and able, would accept such a thing?

Mi-Kyung did, and this factor made Ji-Seong acknowledge the idea that perhaps the woman's motives were sincere. The young man developed a form of respect for the woman whose daily life resembled a housekeeper.

As Ji-Seong grew, he became aware of the pain which inhabited him, an illness in which he ignored its existence. Emptiness, Ji-Seong could not fill himself up; he was hollow. Money, girls, and power, he had it all, yet the void remained.

A new personality dawned, one who pushed Ji-Seong to his limits looking for the thrill; Ji-Seong started gambling. The games were fun, and this supplied him with the adrenaline he needed. Once in a while became three times a week, young adult Ji-Seong was addicted, with the bad blood he would drink, causing havoc and mayhem.

Two years ago

Then came that day, Ji-Seong lost, and he owed the house an amount which he could not abduct from his account without his father being alerted.

"You cheated," Ji-Seong exclaimed; he stood up and turned the table. There was no holding him; the wild tiger fought security guards to finish by almost strangling the card dealer to death.

"Enough," a sweet honey voice, which he hadn't heard in years, yelled.

There she stood, a little older but nonetheless stunning with eyes like a panther.

"Hyeon Ju," Ji-Seong muttered.

The security guards grabbed him.

"Take him to my office."

Two minutes later, Ji-Seong sat in what resembled a boudoir, decorated in a baroque style. The young man waited for Hyeon-Ju.

The wallpaper was in motifs and wore gilded frames with paintings of the renaissance. Her desk was an antique Versailles desk.

Hyeon-Ju came to stand behind her desk chair before choosing the Versailles chaise long in which she sat like Cleopatra with her hand on her legs, which stretched to the extremities of the chair.

"Okay, Ji-Seong, the demon is finally out. I'm fine with that, but don't destroy my club. I let you in; I let you play, and you pay in exchange. Can you pay?" Hyeon-Ju said, stretching out her hand.

"Hwang Hyeon-Ju Ssi."

"Call me Hyeon-Ju; I hate formalities."

"Hyeon-Ju Ssi, you know Mi-Kyung."

"It's because I know Mi-Kyung that your feet are not swimming in concrete right now."

"I'll pay, I swear, just let me play."

Hyeon-Ju got up, walked to him, and knelt bend down to grab Ji-Seong's face. Her eyes bored into his, she searched, and she found.

"There you are, oh you have one nasty demon. He won't be satisfied with little betting games. Your monster needs more than that," Hyeon Ju said, letting go of his face. "Let's make a deal; I have a new business in which I truly believe in its potential. Work for me."