Chapter 10

May POV.

Unless. Unless I choose my own path. I have the power. I believe I can.

I hop out of bed and walk to the door of my room. I open it slowly and hurry out the door. I have to find a window, a door, something. Anything.

I walk down the hallway and find an office. The door is locked. I look around on the ground and find a paper clip. I unbend it and pick the lock.

The office has a window and thats enough for me. I look out but only see darkness.

I need to get out. I unlock the window and feel the cool breeze on my face. I felt the natural wind in so long. I look down to see that i am about 7 floors off of the ground.

I could jump right now and end this all. I could end the stress and misery.

I lean out the window. But I stop. What about all the things i have to live for?

My friends

My best friend Ella

My mom

My brother

Aiden

And now this whole General thing.

This isnt the way out. There is a better way and it ends with me living, the Drift is part of the nation, and I am reunited with Aiden.

But I didnt just come here for nothing.

I came to find a map. This map will show me where I am and where I have to go to get back.

I dug through all of the papers and drawers and everything. I looked under the desk and found a basket. I dug through the basket and found something better than a map.

Unread mail. That unread mail had something very important.

An address.

*******

Aiden POV.

I realize now that I need to find her before she gives up on me. I was too focused on other people giving up on her that I didnt even think that she would give up on herself. On us.

If I am going to find her, I better leave now. In the middle of the night, no one will hear me leave. But there is a problem, i still cant drive yet because I am still healing.

I hop out if bed, get dressed and walk into Zach's, my brother, room. I am almost healed. The doctor told me i was given some medicine to speed up the healing process. Apparently it is working. I am only using one crutch now.

I knock on the door. "Zach?"

"Come in!"

I open the door to see him sitting at his computer.

"What do you want Aiden?"

"I need you to drive me somewhere."

He let out a very dramatic sigh, "where?"

I hesitate. "The Drift."

Zach slowly spins around. He clears his throat. "The Drift?"

"Yep." I nod.

He pauses, "ARE YOU OUT OF YOUR MIND?"

"No!"

"Dude just let it go! I heard about May. She's just another girl. You'll find another. There are plenty of fish in the sea." Zach leans back in his chair.

"You dont understand, I love her."

Zach bursts out laughing.

I am angry. "What is so funny?" I snap.

"You are 17 and in love? What isn't funny about that?"

"You never met her!"

"Yes i did. She is such a slut. She was trying to sleep with you Aiden."

"She is not a slut! We have a real relationship!"

"How many dates have you gone on?"

"1....but we have hung out before and gone to parties!"

"So i assume all you do is kiss and flirt and so on."

"No! We do not!"

"So whats the point of the relationship. You certainly have a record of relationships that have that path." He laughs.

"SHUT UP ZACH."

"Oh Aiden. Why dont you go for a girl who is on the same level as you? Like that girl Lea. You were very friendly with her. You are a decent looking guy, popular, sporty, and smart. You could have any girl you want! Why do you stay with her?"

"Because I love her."

"That is not valid. You know nothing about her."

"Yes I do. She is beautiful, a great kisser, loyal-"

"Im gonna stop you right there. You may think that she is a great kisser and beautiful. But you know, some guy out there in the Drift may be thinking the same thing. She could be 'having fun' without you. Talk about loyalty"

"JUST SHUT UP ZACH AND DRIVE ME."

"No. I am not going to let you risk your life for some lousy girl you barely know, but claim to love. You have a problem. She probably isn't what she seems. You don't know everything about her."

I dont respond. Zach is right. I barely know anything about May. But I am really going to let Zach change my mind about May. I am really in love with her? I dont know. Should I date someone else while she is gone?

"Fine. Maybe I dont know everything about her and she is just some girl, but I promised her I would go after her."

"When you know where she is, I will help you. But for now, let her go."

Maybe Zach is right. But what if he is wrong. I need to talk to May again and decide if she even wants to come back.

I storm out of the room and think. As soon as I start to doubt May, she wont have anyone left. I have to save her. I promised. Even if I am not sure I love her, I still promised.