Prologue

Prologue
Katherine sat on one of the very first benches of the church. Her back to everyone else in the church. She had been in her parents town for over a month already. Yet she was still aware of the staring and the distant whispers from behind her directed at her. She faced forward. Her chin up. She forced herself to look forward at nothing in particular but remained silent.

You'd think I would have gotten used to this by now? She thought.

Her father, Carlos, who sat next to her was deep in thought when he turned to looked at her. He frowned and noticed her clenched fists. He turned to look forward and and let out a sigh. He shook his head.

People sure are nosy. He thought. Maybe we should leave.

He got up and gently nudged her with his hand. Katherine got up from her seat and followed her father out of the church. Once outside her father asked if she would like some gelato. They both went over to the boy who was selling gelato and they both got gelato.

"I don't understand how people can walk into church and start talking about someone," Her dad stated. "People like that shouldn't be coming into church." Her father stated firmly. "I hear your leaving tomorrow." He said.

"Yeah, school already started and I'm a month behind." Katherine explained.

Her father shook his head. "You should stay with me mia figlia." He said.

Katherine forced out a laugh and shook her head. They walked back to her fathers car and her father drove to her uncle's house where she was staying. Her fathers brother, Alan, greeted them at the door.

"I'll see ya tomorrow before you leave." Her father said as he walked back to his car. "Goodnight mia figlia." He said and drove off.

Katherine stepped inside into the kitchen and then walked out over to the trash can outside and threw her remaining gelato into the trash. She walked back into the kitchen where her uncle was making lunch.

"Was the gelato not of your liking?" Her uncle, Alan, asked.

Katherine sat on the table and bowed her head down.
"I had finished the gelato already." She said.

"Ciao!" Said her oldest cousin, Layla.

"Hey." Replied Katherine.

"Lets go hiking after lunch and come back before dinner?" Layla said.

Katherine looked at her uncle, who nodded an approval.

Layla, and her boyfriend Max were walking ahead of Katherine.

"Kat watch your step." Said Layla.

They had all reached the top of the hill. There was a small chapel at the top of Bell Hill. They went around the chapel and found rocks that led up to the top of the chapel. They began to climb the rocks. Katherine looked up at the sky. She was thinking about the real reason she had come to her parents home town.

Katherine had told her mother that she wanted to visit her father. Katherine had convinced her mother to let her stay at her Aunt and Uncle's house while she was staying in that town of hers. Although the real reason was because of a simple phone call. That phone call had changed it all.

Katherine had called Alexander, he was three years older than her and they both went to the same school. She was having a bad day and needed someone to talk to. When he had answered her call they greeted each other then he asked her if he could call her back later since he was busy. Busy being with his friends.

As soon as she heard the dial tone she slammed her fist into the nearest wall and cried. After a few minutes of crying she marched up to her mother and told her she would be going with her cousin to her parents town. That very night she packed and he didn't call her back.

Liam.

Katherine remembered what her friend Laura had told her before she had left school the following morning after the phone call.

"Liam wants to know if you would consider being with him?" Laura had asked Katherine.

"Consider?" Asked Katherine.

Laura tipped her head back and laughed.

"We both know he wants you Kat." Said laura as she walked into the locker room.

Katherine had come here to think about that too. She left her mother at home because she needed to clear her head even if just for a little.

Two boys. One me. Thought Katherine.

Katherine had finished taking a shower and was now packing up. She was not sure how to feel about leaving for tomorrow. She was happy to be leaving but dreding the moment she stepped out of the airport.

The following morning Katherine gathered all of her belongings and went into the kitchen to say her goodbyes. Her aunt made her eat breakfast before she left and her uncle put all her luggage into the car.

"Your father called, he said he would be meeting you at your uncle David's house." Her aunt Lilian said.

They left to her uncle David's house where Katherine's cousins were saying goodbye. Her uncle Alan had transferred her luggage into her uncle David's car.

"Take care mia figlia. Be good to your mother and give me call once in while." Said Katherine's father. Katherine smiled and hugged him.

Katherine was looking out the window, her music blasting from her earphones. Her uncle David was driving to the airport. Katherine was sitting in the back seat with her cousin Lesli, one of her uncle David's kids. Her cousin David, her family called him Jr, was sitting in the passenger seat.
Lesli nudged her slightly. Katherine turned around to face her and took her earphones out.

"Are you excited to go back to Tree Hill?" Lesli asked.

Katherine bowed her head down and looked to the side, she blinked and looked back at her cousin.

"Yeah, I guess you can say that." Katherine responded and turned back around and placed her earphones back into her ears.

I came here to escape my feelings. To escape everything back at home. Thought Katherine.
I came here looking for peace. I came here because I had questions. Katherine frowned and looked back out the window. Liam is offering me the moon and stars. Alexander isnt interested in me but rather interested in Rebeca. Rebeca is Katherine's cousin.

I'm not gonna bother with Alexander anymore. I'm done. Thought Katherine.
Liam is offering opportunities on a silver platter. A new start with him.

Katherine blushed.

Liam And Katherine Alessi. Maybe one day. A girl can always dream. Katherine smiled to herself.