chapter six : a date with Trisha?

"Is that understood? " Ms. Sandra asked after explaining a concept.

"Yes ma" everyone chorused.

" A letter has just being given to me now." she picked an envelope from her desk and opened it.

After taking more than forever to unfold the paper she got from the envelope,she screened through the content and raised her head at the noisy students to keep quiet.

"Akeelah Brooks...." she called out and everyone started looking around. No ones knows who bears that name?

"Is Akeelah Brooks absent this morning?" she stared at the turning head around contest the students were busy performing before a voice spoke.

"Yes ma'am. She's absent" the whole class turned their eyes to look at Sid who had just spoken. Little did he know he was the only one who knew her by her name.

"Well class. Your eyes here,not all over Sid " she gawked.

"Some students among you here has been selected to see her at her house during the week end. Just to show condolences due to the loss of her  her mother" she stated and the class gasped launching into a bunch of murmurs.

"Wait a sec...... K.c it must be that girl you took to the hospital" Max whispered inducing a sad nod from k.c.

"What could have happened? I thought you mentioned she was doing fine before you left last night?" Drake asked.

"Yeah Maybe this happened during the weekend" he sighed and began to gather his books at the ring of the bell. They still had this same class after break.PHYSICS.

What a disaster

"Hey class! Just wait a minute. I've got to call the names " Ms. Sandra commanded but nobody answered her, some had even made themselves through the back door already. "Can't you hear me class I said wait!  I've not called the names " she growled in frustration which had no single effect. Before she knew it, she could only see chairs in the class, not even a student was left.

K.c and Max were at their locker when Drake walked in.

" Ms. Sandra posted those names on the notice board because we didn't wait for her"

Max and k.c gave him flat looks. "So..."

"K.c is to lead the group"

"What the...." he gawked. "I've got  to hang out with Emy this weekend. She  has been upset I don't have valuable time with her these days "

"Oops " Max gasped jokingly knowing how persistent Emily could be.

"So what's gonna happen now?" Drake opened his locker.

"You or Max......

"There's no fucking way I'm gonna represent you in this. Yeah, I feel sorry for her but that doesn't change the fact that I still hate her and it's not gonna be possible for me to go to her house for any reason" Max interjected kindly.

"Same here " Drake chipped in.

K.c heaved a sigh. Off course he couldn't be mad at his friends cos of this. They sure would have helped if it wasn't about the girl who had guts to slam words to his face after literally transforming him into a trash can .The worst was that she got away with it. No, he allowed her get away with it which annoyed them the most.

"It's alright guys." he scratched his temple "I guess Emy would just have to suck it up this week again"

*****

It was time for lunch already and the three friends were on their usual table already. It was like their label table which stood at the  middle of the cafeteria.

"I guess you guys have football practice on Friday" K.c informed his two friends casually as he dug into his lunch. He was bad at football just as his other two friends were amazing at it.

"Tell me you're joking" Max's shoulders sagged.

He had planned to ask Trisha out on a date this Friday. Trisha and him have been friends for some months now.He wanted them to be more than friends though because he had long had something  for her. But he's worried the feeling might not be mutual. And Drake and k.c had convinced him he has to tell her about how he felt. Perhaps......who knows. And now a fucking football practice was gonna hold him back.

"What's wrong? Got any plans?" Drake asked with his mouthful.

"Yep. I kinda concluded last night and I decided on asking Trisha on a date this Friday"

"Really? Really?" Drake and k.c said at the same time with wide eyes.

He gave them flat looks at their dramatic ways. "Yeah. And why are you guys surprised."

"Because you've been scared since all these days" Drake replied.

"I've not been scared about asking Trisha on a date " he retorted.

If anyone hates to be thought of as a weakling, then it's Max. His other two friends included. Wait a sec, virtually all boys hate it. Trust me.

"Yeah but we all know you've been scared of her rejecting you" K.c interjected.

"Exactly" Drake nodded in agreement.

"Whatever. Everyone is scared of that"

"That's a lie. Not everyone is afraid of rejection because I'm not " k.c stated. "I've never been scared any girl would reject me "

"Whatever, that's because you're always sure they'll like you" Max grunted "or should I say you're always sure they like you already. "

"Nope. You're getting it all wrong again." he smirked at Drake before turning to Max "Well it shouldn't be a problem. You sure have Saturday" 

"Yeah what about Saturday?" Drake added.

"She hates Saturday outings. She's never hung out on Saturday before" he shrugged.

"So?" k.c raised his shoulders.

"Don't you get it.That might lead to her giving me a straight NO"

"Oops...

"Hey Drake!" they heard a scream and before Drake could turn around to see, he felt two arms envelope him from behind.

"Argh Marela,stop" he groaned as he peeled her arms away.

"What again? I've been looking for you all day" Marela pouted. The way she batted her silky eyelashes at him which made Max and k.c let out a mocking laugh.

"I've told you to stay away from me, haven't I? " Drake resisted.

"Alright I won't worry about you. I'll just keep caring" she tried to tuck the hair falling into his eyes behind his ear but he swatted her hand away.

"Awww." she screeched dramatically. "That hurts" she hissed jokingly before mustering a seductive smile.

He gave her a fierce look obviously irritated at her attitude.

"Guys, I'll be at my locker" he stood up and walked away.

"What did I do this time again? Did I do anything wrong?" she wondered to his friends, a line of sadness crossing through her face.

Max sighed "Youdid nothing wrong Mar. It's just that he doesn't feel the same way as you.So I think you should let him be" he suggested.

"Yeah I know. But he doesn't even want me as a friend either.Why?" she pursed her lips "Is anything wrong with me?"

*****

Thanks for reading cos I can't do everything alone. You'll get to know about the two new characters "Trisha and Marela" in the next chapter. What do you think about Akeelah? Care to know what you think so please drop your comments and votes too. 😍 you all.