Tears

I ran out, crying. The tears wouldn't stop falling. He killed someone, and I thought he was nice! Maybe he was planning killing me too.

He reached the front door and jumped out of his tank. He stood in my way and I stopped, falling back. "Emily, are you okay?" Lucas asked reaching his hand toward me. He stopped after seeing me flinch. "Emily, please, let me explain."

"Explain what? The fact that you murdered someone?!" I yelled as he sighed.

"No, why it happened. It must have been hundreds of years ago." He said sitting on the floor. I looked at him, confused, as James came over, but stopped a bit away from me. "She shared the same name as you. She was sweet, kind, delicate even."

As he spoke about the wonderful time they had, my heart clenched. Why would he kill her? He felt so deeply.

"I did not cause the death with my own hands, but the village found out. They called her a which and burned her. It was my fault for not being able to save her." He said looking away, he too was crying. I crawled towards him, reaching a hand out. "These legs are a reminder."

The back of my fingers touched his head stained cheeks, and he turned to me. I turned my hand around, cupping his cheek. "You shouldn't blame yourself. She knew the risk, it was her choice to make. I too would have made it." I said giving a small smile.

He placed his large, warm hand over mine. "I promise, I'll never let such a thing happen to you." He said, keeping his head against my hand. This seemed to anger James. I frowned, looking sadly.

"Your kind do love longer than mine though, I will die, Lucas. If not from being killed, then by natural cause." I said taking my hand away. That seemed to almost terrify him, so he quickly grabbed my hand.

I looked at him curiously. "Then I'll become human!" He yelled, holding my hand in both of his. "No matter what it takes."

"But, Lucas, you don't have too. Not for me. I'm not worth it." I said before standing. "Besides, even when I die, I'll still be in your heart."

He too stood, seemingly sad, but shook it off. "Right." He said as James slithered away without us noticing. "May I go home with you today?"