Troubling News and Dreams

I've stayed even closer to Lucas since the incident with Ralph. I know he is gone, but I'm just so scared. Sometimes, I even have nightmares, but Lucas doesn't know. I haven't told him yet.

"Lucas! Emily! You should really see this!" Sara yelled for us. When Lucas got up to leave our room, I quickly followed. My hand reached out grabbing the back of his shirt. His head turned towards me, giving a reassuring smile.

"What is it, Sara? Is something wrong?" Lucas asked, but immediately looked at the TV.

"One of the scientists at a prestigious research lab has gone missing. In order to help aid in finding him, they have released information early. It seems that merfolk are real." The news lady leaned onto her desk. "You heard me correctly. They are real. Any reports of them need to be given to the authorities immediately."

Sara and Lucas were watching it with angered faces. "How bad is this?" I asked them both. Lucas sighs, sitting on the couch.

"It is pretty bad." Sara put a hand on her forehead. Lucas rested his elbows on his legs, and put his hands together. He seemed deep in thought. "Lucas?"

"Hm? Oh, sorry." Lucas ran his fingers through his hair.

"Lucas, we'll be okay. They won't know what you are, and I'm not going to tell anyone." I smiled and hugged him. Lucas pulled me into his lap. "We can get through this together. That includes you Sara."

I smiled at her. For a second they both just looked at me, then smiled as well. "We just need to be careful. Sara, it'll be dangerous, but the others need to be warned." Lucas looked over at her. She nodded, quickly leaving through the back door. The splash from her diving into the water could be heard. "He causes problems for us even after he dies?"

I grip Lucas's shirt, the mere thought of Ralph scared me. He looks at me sadly, wrapping his arms tightly around me. Closing my eyes, I cuddle into him. His warmth began to lull me into sleep.

"Emily, who's your master?" Ralph's teasing voice spoke with a chuckle. My eyes opened wide, Ralph pinning me to my bed. I was too scared to speak, even knowing full well that this is a nightmare. His lips slammed into mine as his hands began to violate me.

It felt so real, just like all the other nightmares. And just like them, he always ends up victorious, Lucas no where in sight. I could always feel the pain of the bruises when I woke, but only the bruises. I never felt the rest of it.

My eyes shoot open, and my breath is quick. Lucas had been shaking me. My hands gripped his shirt so tight that my nails dug into my palm. Tears dripped off my cheeks, my body trembling.

"Emily? What's wrong? Tell me why your scared." He lifts my chin, wipping my tears with his thumb.

"I had a nightmare... about Ralph." I leaned into his chest, burying my face.

"Don't worry. I'm not going to let anything happen to you. You're safe, I promise." He kissed my forehead. "I'll never let myself fail again. I love you too much."