Chapter 8

It wasn't until I actually started talking to the sheriff that I realized something... I didn't have a home. I left the station and headed back the way I came. I could never live the same. I couldn't just keep drinking till I blacked out. I couldn't spend almost all of my time inside clubs and bars. I had no money left. I didn't have anywhere to go. Only back where I came from.

The fields were dark and gloomy. As if the sky itself knew that I was going back. The clouds rolled overhead and the sound of thunder let me know it was about to rain. To my surprise, as
I reached the beginning of the garden upfront, I could see Alex looking up into the sky. The building was somehow less menacing than it was before. I've been gone for 9 days. I don't believe he expected me to come back. I didn't really have a choice. If I told them about Alex they'd think I was insane. A rich vampire with vampire workers who drinks the blood of pigs and... oh yea... me too. They'd say I was deranged, urge me to seek medical attention, but no doctor could tell me what I saw wasn't real.

    I slowly stepped into the garden. I watched Alex walk away from the window. I was frustrated that he hadn't seen me. Thunder was crashing in the distance and even at 7 o'clock in the evening the sky was dark as night. I watched the lightening and listened to the thunder. "Are you going to stay out there until it starts to pour, or are you going to come inside?" His voice was quiet to the roaring thunder but I knew it was him. I walked over to the house. "Alex." I walked up the steps onto the porch. "What are you doing? I've never met such a foolish human. Don't you get it!? You're food. I eat people and I kill them. So why in the fuck are you back here? You wanna die too?!" Now his voice boomed louder than the thunder. Looking into the house, past Alex, I didn't care what he could say to me or do to me. "I don't have anywhere else to go." A moment of silence was interrupted by a few rain drops. "Let's get inside," he said gesturing me to go inside.

    I could see the way to everyone was looking at Alex we walked up the stairs. "It's okay. I came back on my own will." Mrs. Grail had told me all about the rules if a human was allowed to go. The vampire under no circumstances was allowed to see the human or force the human back under penalty by higher ranked vampires. Basically vampire government. I smiled at her and went into my room. Huh my room. Alex was right behind me as I walked through my room. He stopped following me at the center as I crawled into bed. Pulled the covers over my legs but stuck out my arm, "do you need to feed?" He walked over and took my hand in his, "I'm so sorry Vanessa. You're free to go anywhere and to go to town whenever you please. But I'm going back to a strict animal and blood bag only diet." I nodded to let him know I understood. He released my hand and left the room closing the door behind him.

      I must not have realized how tired I was because I started to drift asleep. I jerked awake in the panic off falling off a building. I could hear feet running up the stairs when Alex burst my door open, "Are you alright? I could hear your heart beat speed up suddenly!" I let out a weak laugh. "Ha yea I'm alright. It happens sometimes. It means my heart slowed down fast while I was falling asleep so my brain freaked out." I watched as his tension visibly disappeared. "Were you listening to my heart beat from the library?" His face was a slight shade of red. "Oh my god you were! The look on your face says everything!" He blushed harder than ever, "It's peaceful. I haven't had a heartbeat in a long time. I do forget what it's like sometimes. Do you need someone in the room with you? I can sit in front of the door if that would help you rest easier." I pointed to the chair in the opposite corner of the room. The chair faced toward my bed, "You can sit there tonight." He quietly placed himself in the chair. "Nothing can hurt you while I'm here, Vanessa." I couldn't help but think nothing other than you. I knew it wasn't quite fair. I could tell he felt sorry for me.