Faint Secrets- A delena fanfiction

NOTE- I DO NOT OWN THE VAMPIRE DIARIES. KUDOS TO JULIE PLEC FOR MAKING THE CHARACTERS OF LJ SMITHS BOOKS COME TO LIFE.

PROLOGUE
The date is October 23rd, 1862. The air is dense with thick morning fog, the grass whispering the
untold secrets of Mystic Falls. In the distance, beyond vast green pastures and thickets of trees,
there is a grand white house, three pillars in front. From afar, it is clear that two men are standing in front of it, waiting. As the carriage draws nearer, the details of the estate come into view, a long pebble entrance leading up to two wooden doors, a fountain on each side, and a magnificent porch wrapping around it, with delicate wooden furniture. The details of the two men come in to better view also, and it is seen that one has hair the color of chestnut, and the other, the color of a raven, or crow. They are standing with excellent posture and stone faces, and with perfect symmetry, waiting. They watch in silence as the carriage pulls up in front of the house and a young woman steps out, bowing gracefully towards them. She is of Italian decent, and her skin the shade of olive, dark, long ringlets cascading down over her shoulders. Her dress is a dark shade of sage, with cream lace at the base of her sleeves, up the fitted bodice, and at the hem. One of the young men,the one with raven hair, steps forward and bows, taking her hand, kissing it lightly. She can see that his eyes are ice blue, and very penetrating. He holds her gaze for a moment. Then, quietly, he speaks. "Damon Salvatore, pleased to make your acquaintance." The beautiful woman smiles, showing perfect, white teeth.
"Elaina Pierce. Likewise." She curtseys again and Damon returns to his original spot. The man
next to him takes a step forward, the early morning sunlight glinting off his face. He bows to her, and introduces himself as Stefan Salvatore. Again, Elaina is drawn to his eyes. They are a light shade of emerald, with gold flecks. Stefan walks past Damon to the two large doors, opening one. He beckons her inside politely.
"After you, my lady." She walks through the threshold and is taken aback. The inside is even more
stunning than the outside, with extravagant chandeliers, plush couches, and amazing paintings hung up throughout. On her right is a grand staircase, each stair winding up, like there are endless
rooms, endless possibilities. She almost doesn't notice Damon come up behind her, carrying the trunk of her things. "Damon! You startled me! I was just taking notice of how intricate your home is." She compliments, and he smiles slightly.
"Come, Miss Pierce, I shall show you up to your chambers." She grins sheepishly and picks up the
bottom of her dress between her thumb and two fingers, following him daintily up the stairs.

ELAINA

Damon sets the trunk down at the foot of the bed.
"Thank you Mr. Salvatore." I say politely. He shakes his head.
"No need Miss Pierce, pleased to help. Your maid will be up shortly, I'm sure you'll find her very
kind and helpful, and lunch will be at 1:00 sharp." He looks around as if to see if anyone is watching, and then steps closer to me, smirking. He puts his index finger to his lips. "And in
case you missed breakfast." He reaches into his suit pocket, bringing out a blueberry scone. "Our little secret." He whispers playfully, and places it in my hands.
"Thank you Mr. Salvatore."
"You are welcome Miss Pierce. I shall leave you to get settled in then." With that, he pivots, and walks out the door, down the endless corridor. I grin, feeling that the scone is still warm, and notice a seat by the window. Smoothing my dress, I take a seat, looking out on the vast pastures that remind me of home, inhaling the sweet scent of cherry blossoms and morning dew. There comes a soft knock upon the door, and I'm whisked from my pleasant daydream.
"Excuse me? Miss Pierce, I am your maid, Sarah Elizabeth. Shall I come back later?" A voice say from behind it. I regard her.
"No thank you. Now is fine. You may come in." The door opens slowly and a beautiful young
woman walks in timidly, curtseying towards me.
"Is there anything I can help you with, Ms. Pierce?" I look down, noticing my constricted abdomen.
"Yes, actually. My mother seemed to have tied my corset a bit too tight. Would you loosen it for
me?" She nods, and beckons me over to sit on the pedestal in front of the mirror. She begins to
work on the strings tying it together, loosening them. The silence is thick as molasses on a humid
summers day, until timidly, she speaks.
"Ms. Pierce, if I may ask, where is it you are from?" I grin, recalling the beauty of my home, and respond.
"I come from a small town in northern Italy." She smiles warmly.
"That sounds very beautiful." She whispers.
"Where do you come from?" I ask, and her fingers freeze at the base of my corset.
"Ms. Pierce, I am told not to speak about it." I frown slightly, but politely move on to a different
subject.
"What about your family? Surely you must have family." For the first time, her voice comes out
harsh.
"Ms. Pierce, I am your maid. I am not permitted to divulge personal facts." She looks to the floor, and says hushed, "I apologize for my rude behavior Ms. Pierce." I put a gloved hand to her chin, pushing it up.
"No, I apologize, for I should not ask such personal questions." I hear a faint grumbling come from her abdomen, and I pick up the hem of my dress, and go fetch the still warm scone. I offer
it to her. "It looks like you may need this more than I." She backs away.
"Oh no, ma'am I couldn't. Tis' straight from the Salvatore kitchen, a true delicacy!" I walk towards her, placing it in her hands and wrapping her fingers around it. I spy a small, delicate
smile creep up onto her porcelain-like face, and she whispers, "Thank you, Ms. Pierce, really. If there is anything, anything I could do for you, just ask." She curtseys and walks out of the room, leaving me alone to set up my chamber however I please. I bend down, unbuckling the chest, and gently pull out my variety of fine dresses, hanging them in the wardrobe. The rest of my belonging is mostly a few books I managed to save from home, and valuables, such as gold and silver jewelry that has been passed down for generations. As I look through the chest, I stumble upon something I thought was forever lost. A single earring, of gorgeous rubies and fine silver. It was my mothers. I bend down and retrieve it, running my fingers across it gingerly. I place it lightly onto the night table, smiling to myself, and finish unpacking. With that earring comes hope, hope of being able to let go of my past and move forward with the future. I have had a long journey, and I am very tired. The bed looks so enticing with its silk sheets and down blankets, fluffy pillows. I change out of my dress and into a night slip, and sink down into it, and before I can blink, the soft wisps of dream envelope me.