34. ♥️

His breathed shakily on my neck, against my ear. "S-Stay awake.."

I couldn't believe the truth. Mateo held my limp body, he stared down at the large cutting knife knowing not to pull it out or my death would come quicker.

"You'll be healed." He assured.

"No..." I protested weakly. "N-No.."

He didn't take no for an answer. He gently lifted me up from the floor, I was in a daze, now in hopes to prevent my eyes from closing since he came.

He actually came for me.

"Where's yo' knight in shining armour?"

"I will always protect you..."

"Mariyah, I-I think you need to see someone."

"Mariyah your leg!!"

"You have to hate me, so I'll hate you!"

"We can't be together."

"I'm not safe anymore..."

"I will always protect you."

"I feel things that I normally don't feel when I'm with you, Mariyah. I like you."

"Nothin' will ever happen to you because I will be right by your side, for as long as you shall live. Protecting you because I love you Mariyah..."

"Remember that. Because I sure will."

I thought death was to come, but I was mistaken. The painful gash in my empty stomach wasn't even visible.

The birds chirped rhythmic songs that I would hear every day, the morning sun's soft shadows reflected on the walls.

"Good Morning..." I heard his familiar​ voice. He sat on my desk chair, wearing gloves and a hoodie to prevent the sun's bright glare from hitting his face.

He was here. And I wondered for how long...

"Thank you." I murmured, serious with my words.

Mateo didn't say a word, guilt appeared all over his face. "This is because of me...which is why we can't be around one another-"

"Stop." My voice cracked. "Don't leave me again, please. Don't leave and watch like you watched what went down two nights ago..."

He tugged onto his hair under his hood, staring down at the floor.

"That's why you're guilty....you watched me get raped. And you didn't do a thing about it."

He was certainly guilty, yet he didn't apologize. He was so deep into his thoughts, most likely pondering why he didn't do anything to stop me from getting raped.

He nodded. "You're right."

"You don't deserve a coward like me, Mariyah. You don't deserve someone who watched you get raped, and didn't do a thing-"

"Why, did you watch? Why didn't you help me? Why didn't you protect me?"

"I don't know. I felt like if I got too attached you would leave me. So I left first. I made sure to leave, and try to not come back...but you always needed me. So that night, I left you alone. Since you were fed up that I continued to leave you when you needed me most."

"I'm sorry." He confessed. "I'm sorry for being reluctant on loving you. But you don't deserve me now, I watched you get forced into sex. And didn't do anything..."

He had gotten up, and walked towards my bedroom door. He was pushing himself away from me, because he thought that I would leave first.

He wasn't used to love, he was basing everything onto his past with so called friends and family. He just learned that things were the way it was, it morphed into his mind frame where he thought even true love was temporary.

So he wanted to drift away before I would, having the experience that any form of relationship was temporary.

"I won't leave you." Those words had him stop in his tracks.

"I won't leave you ever. I continued. Please, don't leave me again.."

My skinny body trembled, I didn't know how much longer I could withstand without him.

Everything we've been through, our selfishness bashed one another yet the love never disappeared.

"Please.." I begged, tears trickled down my cheeks, which he shed tears of his own.

He quickly wiped it away, the broken tears burned his skin. It was silent. I stared at him with my pleasing eyes while he couldn't even look me in them.

I slipped out of my bed. "No matter what, you will protect me right? I'm still alive, because of you right?" I walked towards him.

He tensed once I wrapped my arms around his waist line. "I won't leave you so you don't have to leave me."

That's when I felt his cold body run hot. His wrapped his arms around me, the feel of his love relieved me.

"I promise to never leave." I said into his chest, comforting as his toxic tears dripped down my neck.

He brung my face into his hands and kissed me passionately. I never thought he would express his feelings around me ever again, since that day he vowed that he should die in order for the stress and everyone that was after me to go away. His lips carved with mine, kissing me slowly and affectionately.

Then he said the words that I've been waiting to hear again since we before made ourselves official. Before everything went down.

"I love you, Mariyah."