Target

Chapter Four

Target

Blue

It had been one week since Matt started sleeping on Blue's couch. It was weird but natural, all at the same time. They wake up and have a small breakfast, usually something Matt would fix and he was right, he was a real good cook. Then they would head to the precinct together and work on the case. All week they followed leads of co-workers, friends and pretty much anyone who ever knew any of the three girls.

They were at Harlee Greene's house talking again with her mother. 'There isn't anything new I could tell you. Harlee was a good student, always studying. That's why she was at the library. She had a report due for her FFA class. Something about plants I think. She loves plants and flowers."

Blue smiled at Mrs. Greene and asked, "and she has always liked flowers and plants?"

"Um yes, since about the age of eight. I remember her dad had to build her raised gardens in the back so she could bring in only the best dirt. That's why she got into horticultural studies. She was going to improve the way our vegetables and fruits were grown. She was going to do good for this world."

"Yes Ma'am. Thank you for your time. Again, we are truly sorry for your loss and we are doing everything we can to catch the person responsible for this.' Blue hated delivering that line, not because they weren't doing everything they could but because it always seemed like it came out of a playbook, a pre-written line somewhere that the cops used.

They were in the car on the way back to the precinct when Matt spoke up. "Bill and Marge are have a candle lighting ceremony tonight. They think it will bring more television coverage and they hope the person responsible will see it and have a change of heart. Although I don't think it will do any good, I can't tell them not to do it. They would like it if you and anyone else from the station could show up."

Blue has been to a couple of candle light ceremonies. They were very sad. Getting though one is particularly tough but when one becomes attached to a case like she is, it's even worse. "I'll be there." She would let others know of the ceremony. She was sure the television stations were already contacted. "What time?"

"Six o'clock. That way the stations can run it live for their news casts." He looked at Blue and saw that she looked preoccupied. "Blue?"

"Huh? Oh, okay yeah, six tonight, got it." Matt was driving so this really allowed Blue to lose herself in her thoughts. Or try to anyway.

"What are you thinking?" Matt asked.

"I was thinking that this person isn't coming back to my house and that while I very much appreciate your company, you must want to be back at your brother's house, to be with your family." Blue was closing herself off and she knew it but she couldn't stop herself.

"Are you kicking me out?" Matt tried to sound like he was joking but he hoped that was not the case.

"No, I mean, if you need to get back with your family that I would be okay here alone. I am a cop after all." Blue sounded dumb and she knew it.

"If it's all the same to you, I would feel better being here. I haven't been that bad of a roommate have I?" Matt questioned.

"No," Blue chuckled. "Though I do think I have gained weight with you being there."

"Well, that isn't so bad is it? It looks good on you." Matt stared her straight in her eyes so that she would see the meaning behind his words. She looked straight back at him and answered "no, I don't suppose so, and thank you."