First Aid 9

EMERGENCY PROBLEM OF THE GUT (ACUTE PROBLEM)

Acute abdomen is a name to a number of sudden, severe conditions of the gut for which prompt surgery is often needed to prevent death. Appendicitis, peritonitis, and gut obstruction are examples. Often the exact cause of acute abdomen will be uncertain until a surgeon cuts open the belly and looks inside.

If a person has continous severe gut pain with vomiting, but does not have diarrhea, suspect an acute abdomen.

If a person shows sign of acute abdomen, get him to a hospital as fast as you can.

Obstructed Gut

An acute abdomen may be caused by something that blocks or 'obstructs' a part of a gut, so that food and stools cannot pass. More common causes are:

- A ball or knot of roundworms (Ascaris)

- A loop of gut that is pinched in a hernia

- A part of the gut that slips inside the part below it (intussusception)

Almost any kind of acute abdomen may show some signs of obstruction. Because it hurts the damaged gut to move, it stops moving.

Signs of an obstructed gut:

1) Steady, severe pain in the belly. The child's belly is swollen, hard, and very tender. It hurts more when you touch it. He tries to protect his belly and keep his legs double up. His belly is often 'silent'. (when you put your ear to it, you hear no signs of normal gurgles.)

2) Sudden vomiting with great force! The vomit may shoot out a meter or more. It may have green bile in it or smell and look like feces.

3) He is usually constipated (little or no bowel movements). If there is diarrhea, it is only a little bit. Sometimes, all that comes out is some bloody mucus.

Get this person to a hospital at once. His life is in danger and surgery may be needed.

Appendicitis, Peritonitis

These dangerous conditions often require surgery. Seek medical help fast.

Appendicitis is an infection of the appendix, a finger-shaped sac attached to the large intestine in the lower right-hand part of the belly. An infected appendix sometimes bursts open, causing peritonitis.

Peritonitis is an acute, serious infection of the lining of the cavity or bag that holds the gut. It results when the appendix or another part of the gut bursts or is torn.

Signs of appendicitis:

- The main sign is a steady pain in the belly that gets worse and worse.

- The pain often begins around the navel (bellybutton). But it soon moves to the lower right side.

- There may be loss of appetite, vomiting, constipation, or a mild fever.

A TEST FOR APPENDICITIS OR PERITONITIS:

Slowly but forcefully, press on the abdomen, a little left above the groin, until it hurts a little.

Then quickly remove the hand.

If a very sharp pain (rebound pain) occurs when hand is removed, appendicitis or peritonitis is likely.

If no rebound pain occurs above the left groin, try the same test above the right groin.

If it seems that a person has appendicitis or peritonitis:

- Seek medical help immediately. If possible, take the person where he can have surgery.

- Do not give anything by mouth and do not give an enema. Only if the person begins to show signs of dehydration, give sips of water or Rehydration Drink--but nothing more.

- The person should rest quietly in half sitting position.

NOTE: When peritonitis is advanced, the belly becomes hard like a board, and the person feels great pain when his belly is touched even lightly. His life is in danger. Take him to a medical center immediately and on the way give him the medicines indicated below:

Inject ampicillin, 1gm every 4 hours.
If there is no ampicillin: Inject penicillin (crystalline, if possible), 5 million units immediately; after that, 1 million units every 4 hours.
If you cannot obtain these antibiotics in injectable form, give ampicillin or penicillin by mouth together with chloramphenicol or tetracycline, and very little water.