First Aid 2

SHOCK

Shock is a life threatening condition that develops when the body's blood pressure drops dangerously low. It can result in great pain, a large burn, losing lot of blood, severe illnesses, dehydration, or severe allergic reaction.

signs of SHOCK:

- Weak, rapid pulse (more than 100 per minute).

- 'Cold sweat'; pale, cold, damp.skin.

- Mental confusion, weakness, or loss of consciousness.

What to do to prevent or treat shock:

At the first sign of shock; or if there is risk of shock...

- Have the person lie down with the feet higher than his head. However, if the person has a severe head injury, put him in a half-sitting position.

- If the person feels cold, cover him with a blanket.

- If he is conscious, give him warm water or other lukewarm drinks.

- If he is in pain, give him aspirin or another pain medicine.

- Keep calm and reassure the person.

- If he is unconscious:
* Lay him on his side with his head low, tilted back to one side. If he seems to be choking, pull his tongue forward with your finger.
*If he has vomited, clear his mouth immediately. Be sure his head is low, tilted back, and to one side so he does not breathe vomit into his lungs.
*Do not give him anything by mouth until he becomes conscious.
*If you or someone nearby knows how, give intravenous solution (normal saline) at first drip.
*Seek medical help fast.