Chapter Forty-Two: Really, Really Hurt

Within the last two hours, all hell had broken loose in Yorknew City. Nothing was going how it was planned. The auction items had been stolen by the Phantom Troupe, who found out the items had already been taken, who then pursued the group who had actually taken it. Then, Uvogin had fought some of the Shadow Beasts. He won, but not without injury. That hubris however, lead him to chase after someone known only as "the chain user" and he didn't come back. This called for revenge. And now revenge was being taken in the form of a requiem for Uvogin.

Chrollo had considered calling you, seeing as he was really torn up about his friend's death. But he decided against it. You wouldn't have liked seeing the carnage he was creating. As he wandered room to room in the current building he was in, he wondered when the Zoldycks would come for him. After all, the Ten Dons had definitely hired them to take him out. They wouldn't have spared any expense.

Illumi on the other hand, was also have a rough time. Not that he hadn't been able to assassinate the Ten Dons but it had taken a lot of threats and intimidation for Kalluto to spill the beans about where you were. He figured you were about an hour outside of the city, resting for the night before continuing on to the jungle.

And if your grandfather wouldn't have called you mid-flight, Illumi would have been wrong.

The call replayed in your mind as you drifted off to sleep in this luxury hotel suite you rented.

"Jii-san?" you had answered groggily.

"I need you to stop whatever you're doing and go to Yorknew City. I'm sure you heard of the massacre going on there. Tomorrow morning I want you to go around the town and round up all of the children whose parents are gone. Fix them up in a single place so we can take care of them easier."

"Jii-san, I'm trying to figure out which hunter specialty to register for. Can't someone else do this for you?"

"Congratulations, you're officially and Orphan Hunter. Get to Yorknew by the morning." And he hung up.

Stupid old man, you thought to yourself. But you heeded his words. Netero was certainly not someone to be trifled with.

As you tossed and turned in your kind size bed until you suddenly felt a dark presence looming over you.

You didn't need to guess to figure out who this was. Or his intentions. You knew that you had left on bad terms and figured that this was the most you could expect. You could only shut down an emotionless killing machine so many times before it came after you.

As you laid in bed, wondering when and how he would strike, you noticed that he was simply standing over you, so you opened your eyes.

Immediately, Illumi flared up and got in a position to strike. With deadly needles in between his fingers, he prepared to strike. He would slash your throat and stab you through the heart.

So with the last few moments in your life, you smiled gently at Illumi, remembering all the times you had enjoyed together.