[10] Sanctuary

He heard Heimdall's voice clear as ever. It broke into his mind and detangled him from his memories.
In his mind's eye, Fandral saw a mountain that stood above all others,  one that concealed what was left of Asgard; of their people. The people he had died for.
"How long will it take,  Heimdall?" he looked down at Ashildyr again,  who had turned a startling shade of white, so much so it stirred a fear in Fandral's heart; one he dared not entertain.

This could be howit happens. After all this time...she could still be lost to him,  parted forever.

"Heimdall, please! I need Eir. It's Ashildyr, she..." he trailed off between sobs as he cupped his wife's face in his hands. "We need a healer. Please."
***
"Hold on,  Fandral. Just hold on!"

"We're coming for you."

"You need to rest now."
***

A sweet promise filled Fandral's heart. It might have been a fool's hope that he clung to,  but it was hope nonetheless. It was enough.
Heimdall has found them curled about each other, their fingers entwined together. Fandral's tunic was covered in blood, mirroring hers. He had heard Fandral whisper something along the lines of "If you bleed, my love, I bleed with you."

And even now, as Heimdall watched Fandral find a moment of peace in his sleep,  he felt that hope stir too.

***
He had made an effort,  long ago,  to console Fandral when news broke of Loki's trick. When not charged with guarding the Bifrost, he would watch over both he and Ashildyr, a gave weight upon his chest. It was never well to witness the dissolve of a powerful bond. And yet it was something he was forced to endure.

One night,  Fandral had come to him staggering down the Bifrost Bridge, his eyes sunken and his words tumbling out of his mouth without direction or target. It was obvious that he had been weeping and there was bruises along his knuckles.
Heimdall sighed as he approached.
"My friend, I cannot allow this." He said,  putting a hand on his shoulder.
Fandral shrugged his hand away. "I can have any maiden in all of the nine realms that I choose! Perhaps I shall have the good fortune of finding one who knows who I am!"
"Running away will not make this any easier, my friend."
"Midgard awaits, Heimdall! I hear the Midgardian women are especially..."
"Midgard has enough to deal with of its own." He eyed him with a softness Fandral knew was pity. "Come, let us talk awhile, my friend."
With a slump and a break in Fandral's stoic demeanor, there was a mutual agreement.