[17] Scars in Time

Training had been,  for the most part,  a success. Though fear nestled in the hearts of the children, their parents were quick to spur courage in them.

Heimdall had taken to standing guard at the entrance of the cave,  his all-seeing eyes keen on the cliffs. Hela would arrive soon,  he knew. And they would be ready.

Ashildyr found Fandral sitting alone, taken by some kind of thought,  a lament so silent it stirred her.
"Husband," she cooed playfully, extending her hand down to him. He took it and rubbed small circles into her palm.
"Wife," he grinned,  looking up at her with shiny eyes. He stood up and kept her hand in his.
"Fandral, I...what kind of deal did you make with Odin? Valhalla and all that?"
He spared a small sigh,  but kept his smile as he pulled her close.  "Nevermind that now," he spoke gently, "Let us just have this; this moment is enough for me."

She kept her head on her chest and closed her eyes. She couldn't find the words to say how she felt,  how much this moment meant to her. For so long she had watched on as Fandral lived his life without her.
"I love you,  Fandral The Dashing," she let the words float up to his ears and she didn't have to wait long for his reply.
"And I you,  Ashildyr The Brave."

As she cherished for warmth of his arms around her, and couldn't help but be troubled by the coarseness of the shiny scars that decorated them. She let her fingers wander there and his hand was quick to find them.
"Hildyr," he sighed wearily,  "don't go looking for things you might not like to see."
She pulled away from him and gave him a stern look. The way the shadows framed her face; she looked pained.
"Those scars... how did you get them?"
He smirked,  "My dear,  I'm a servant of the realm and a warrior of Asgard. Scars are inevitable in my line of work."
She didn't buy it. "Fandral,"
"A story for another time,  perhaps." His smirk melted away and that look of tortured guilt came back. "I lost my best friends today. I should like to mourn them." Ashildyr nodded. "I wish I could have gathered their bodies...given them a fitting ceremony." He dwelled on the thought a moment and smiled upon it. "But our time is running out. Valhalla receives brave souls. I know I will see them again."
Ashildyr wondered when that time would come and, by Asgard, she hoped it would not be anytime soon.