[5] Yielding Memories

Easing back into his body was one of the strangest sensations Fandral has ever experienced in his thousands of years of existence. Not one he would care to endure again. Not only was it painful, sliding between bone and marrow,  coursing through veins and clicking into place; it was just plain unnatural.
He felt life breathe into him again as he shot up with a loud gasp. He sat up and patted the front of his breastplate to find the knives protruding still,  but there was no sting. He pulled them out quickly and without a whimper,  tossed them aside. With effort,  he pushed himself up and stood firmly on his legs, his gaze falling upon the body of Volstagg. Starlight twinkled in his eyes.
"Rest easy,  my friend." Fandral spared a smile,  before his face set hard in determination and sometimes else... something even more strange to him. Anger. Fury. He'd never let it consume him before. Until now. He turned to face the city of Asgard. He could feel Ashildyr within the city walls, amongst the trees and gold halls. She was close.
"I'm coming, my love," he breathed, brandishing Fimbuldraugr in one swift move.
***
His strides ate at the ground with uneasy footing. Something swayed his movements,  threw him off (almost literally). Overcome by a wave of something he could only describe as sentiment, he paused and drew in a long breath. It was then that time seemed to stand at ease,  allowing him to watch the past replay in his mind

-The Battle of Vanaheim-
His steed galloped under his command, Ashildyr sitting at the fore in front of him. She clutched the reins while he controlled the speed charging into battle.
"I've got a bad feeling about this," Ashildyr hissed over the howl of the wind. The waves of her dark hair fanned out behind her shoulders, tickling Fandral's chin.  He smiled wryly.
"Fret not,  my love." He cooed a little louder. His sword cut through the air and sliced at the limbs of attacking Marauder. "Whatever happens,  we remain together."
At that she felt some inkling of comfort. "Even in death,"
She felt the him of his chest as he laughed behind her. "Oh, in the name of Asgard, yes."