[21] Of How We Calmed Your Tides of War

They awoke to a frantic wave of faces and huddled bodies. There was no time to gather provisions or trinkets of sentimental value. Only the essentials.
Ashildyr and Fandral took up arms and followed Heimdall's instruction. The crowd scurried out an opening in the back of the cave, saving their cries for their victory.
Hela had come. Ragnarok would come soon after.

Ashildyr withdrew to the exit, fitting an arrow to the string of her bow. Fandral flanked the opposite side of the opening, a gave look etched along his features.
"Don't say it," Ashildyr said quickly, keeping her eyes on the cave entrance, while he scouted the crowd's exit.
"Say what?" he called back over the commotion, dropping his voice.
"Something about having a bad feeling about this." She grinned at him, challenging him to some kind of smirk-off.
"Darling," he posed like a true lothario against the stone pillar, "I wouldn't dream of it."
***
The Bifrost Bridge held the weight of the colony, the only survivors of Hela's wrath as they raced toward the end. Heimdall led the crowd, the Bifrost sword at his back.
"Everyone stay together. Remember your training. Remember who you are. You are Asgard. You always have been."
They marched on, some of them uncertain, others do filled with rage the prospect of dying seemed to matter little to them. But in their path stood Fenris, the giant wolf-beast, servant of Hela and her trusted steed. They would have to cut it down, or die trying.

Ashildyr and Fandral flanked the end of the crowd, scouting the bridge for anyone left behind.
"Heimdall!" a voice called out, almost accusing treason. It was Skurge. "The Sword!"
They looked across at Heimdall wearily before the fight broke out. Sword collided with sword and arrow against arrow. Fandral charged first with Fimbuldraugr afire in his hand, begging for the kill. He cut down many undead, so many that Ashildyr dared not count the bodies he left behind.
She kept an eye on him, releasing arrows when the undead rose against him.
"I won't lose you again," she whispered in sync with the hiss of her arrow. A direct hit. The undead soldier fell just as Fandral turned to face her. She gave him a nod.
***
"Fandral!" It was Thor's voice this time that bellowed over the cries and the clashing of sword and flesh. "My friend!"
Fandral took a theatrical bow while single-handedly slicing down an undead.
"Hail Thor Odinson! Did you miss me?" he guffawed, enjoying the energy, the air and the show of it all. Battle brought out the performer in him, that was certain.
"Mightily so!" Thor replied, "Where's Volstagg and Hogun?"
Fandral made no reply. Not immediately. Thor summoned his thunder and all around, bodies toppled and slid from the bridge.
"Fandral!" he called to him again, his frustration sure.
Fandral cast him a look. "Another time, my friend. We must hold off this savage beast before our people can be safe." He looked up and saw a giant green beast, a man, throw himself down onto the bridge. It dragged Fenris by the tail and wrestled it. It was enough of a diversion to usher the people toward the end of the bridge.
A deep, ceremonious hum announced the arrival of a large craft hovering overhead. The loading ramp lowered and strange species, both human and alien streamed forth in a feverish fury, armed with weapons of their own. Among them, Fandral noticed, was none other than Loki, his head adorned with his horned helmet.
"Did you miss me?" Loki addressed the crowd as they received him with cheers. He held his arms outstretched in a glorious stance. "Everybody on the ship now! Hurry!"
In the frenzy, Loki glanced in the direction of Fandral and a frown flickered over his face. Fandral resisted the urge to throttle him. That wasn't important now.