Chapter 6

A huge thank you to my friend Seer of Dreams for beta-reading!

C:C:

Metal boxes crashed and shattered against the compact ground, sending splinters of metal scattering across barren land. Bolts of energy, forced in the shape of spears, were sent crackling across the rail yard, missing their target and connecting with steel beams. From there, the cycle would repeat, the hedgehog adversaries exchanging blows and attempting to wear out their opposer. Neither cared for their drenched bodies, nor the darkened bruises or ugly cuts they had garnered from the battle. They focused only on each other's eyes, raging red clashing with ambered apprehension.

Of the two adversaries, the white hedgehog was worse off in his health. The amount of black armor on his body was restricting his movements, rubbing his skin raw, and wearing him out quick. His body was marred with cuts and bruises, most of which had been earned by his own mistakes. Despite his damaged body, Silver continued to glare at the panting Shadow with a clenched jaw. His fingers flexed at his side, manipulating the debris in his control to adjust and hone in on their target. His physical body was trembling under strain, his powers beginning to weaken from overuse.

Shadow fared no better. Lethargy and bruises had begun to slow his movements, and blood was seeping from a wound on his head. Despite the pain, he managed to hold up a practiced mask of impassiveness and effectively fooling his enemy. Shadow only needed to hold out a little longer.

Shadow's ear twitched, catching the foolish G.U.N. soldier's scream before he flung his attack. Splintered metal, forgotten in the dirt, arose like specters and darted forward, their points aimed to pierce the ebony hedgehog. Shadow dodged at the last minute, hissing when he felt steel graze his flesh. Shadow growled and turned to glare at his adversary, his bared fangs reminiscent of a tiger's. Silver smirked back with pride.

"Huff...glad to see you're enjoying yourself," Shadow growled. He attempted to correct himself and was rewarded with pain in his thigh. Shadow cursed, figuring shrapnel had lodged its way into the muscle.

"No!" Silver yelled back, a quiver in his voice. "I'm not enjoying this. Because of you, I've lost an hour. Why would I be enjoying this?"

Shadow smirked past the pain, further off-putting his rival, "Well, that is the point."

Silver blinked, his guard dropping to stare in disbelief. Shadow took the opportunity to reach his thigh and find the piece of metal. Wrapping gloved fingers around it, he ripped the debris out, grunting pain it brought. He discarded the blade, the metal clattering to the ground with its tip colored in dark blood. The injury put him at a disadvantage, but at least it could no longer cause further damage.

Silver watched from his distance, shoulders bunched, and a grimace on his face. His weight had shifted, eyes trained on the disposed metal with sickly expression. It left another opening, and despite Shadow's injured state, he would not pass up the opportunity. Activating his air shoes, he allowed the boosters to propel through the air in a direct attack. The motion was quick, merely a streak of yellow in the air, that Silver could not register until a fist had collided with his torso. The younger soldier wheezed as oxygen was stripped from his lungs.

Silver stumbled back, doubling over to clutch at his stomach. Shadow was quick to take advantage of the soldier's off-centered balance in the form of a sidestep. Pivoting his hind foot, Shadow managed to spin in mid-air and deliver a swift kick aimed at Silver's skull. His target was met, sending the ivory Mobian crashing face-first into the ground.

Shadow panted and stood back, hissing at the spike of pain in his back. The adrenaline from his last attack had numbed some of the problems, but it was creeping back. He was considering his next choice of action when he froze under the sound of scraping gravel. Shadow cursed under his breath, lowering his arm so he may raise his guard once more.