Chapter Five: A Simple Plan

A/N: Just so you know, this is the part where Bumblestripe is just beginning to go crazy. Tell me after reading this, do you think he's going to wind up going completely insane?

I couldn't bear to look at her as we passed through the forest. She was a traitor to her Clan, a disgrace to every cat that ever walked the earth.

My thoughts spun wildly around my head even more than ever before.

The silence was louder than a deafening boom of thunder. Every step of her paw made a burning pain sear up my side and I was left gasping for breath, in agony.

I was only dimly aware that Icecloud was with our patrol as well.

Dovewing glanced at the white-furred she-cat. "Icecloud, could you hunt alone for a few moments? Bumblestripe and I need to talk."

Icecloud nodded and padded away.

I gritted my teeth. "I have nothing to say to you."

"Well maybe I want to talk to you!" Dovewing spat.

I was already walking away but Dovewing chased after me.

"Please talk to me!" she pleaded. "I need to speak with you!"

Her words made me feel like a ShadowClan warrior was clawing at my heart. "Wouldn't you rather talk to Tigerheart?"

Dovewing froze like a kit on a Thunderpath, caught in the blinding glare from a monster's eyes. I almost walked away and left her like that. But the world spun as my thoughts of revenge and anger danced around my head. I swayed on my paws and closed my eyes, feeling like the next gust of wind would sweep me off my feet and carry me up into the clouds.

This terrible she-cat caused all of your misery! A voice hissed in my head.

Before I could stop myself, I whipped around and lashed out with my claws. I struck her on the cheek and watched in fascination as blood inched down her face.

I was trembling from anger and my breath was coming in short, ragged gasps. It was the first time I had seen the light of terror in my victim's eyes. My victim's eyes would always be green in my mind, symbolic of the cat who had betrayed me.

I felt more powerful than I ever had in my life. Adrenaline coursed through my body, and I felt a surge of strength. Dovewing was at my mercy. If I chose to murder her right then and there, she wouldn't be able to stop me. I knew I'd never be able to kill her though. There was still weakness inside me, a weakness called love. But I was strong enough to make her life as miserable as she had made mine.

I yowled with rage and shoved her into a thorn bush. She snapped out of the daze she was in as thorns dug into her side. She pulled herself free, leaving behind a few tufts of gray fur, and hurried away from me.

I can't bear this and I can't live like this! I can't bring myself to kill her either though...

Staring at the scraps of fur on the thorns, I got an idea. Kill Ivypool, and frame Dovewing. What would hurt her more than to see her sister's lifeless body and to be accused of her murder? The only thing that will give me pleasure now is to see her in pain, to watch her be banished and exiled by the cats who raised her.

It was a simple idea, but sometimes the simplest of plans are the best ones.