Chapter Three: A Chat With The Deputy

Chapter Three

Squirrelflight woke me up at sunhigh. "Bramblestar wants to see you in his den," she hissed. "Now."

I turned my head away from her and refused to look at her. We were both silent for a moment. "Tell him I'm not coming," I meowed finally.

"What is wrong with you, Bumblestripe? You'll never attract a mate if you keep acting like this?" Squirrelflight hissed.

"I haven't attracted a mate anyways!" I spat.

Squirrelflight paused. "Oh, this is about you and Dovewing," she meowed. "Don't worry, she'll get over whatever happened and she'll become your mate. The same thing happened to Bramblestar and I, and no cat ever thought we would be together again...."

"You don't understand!" I hissed, interrupting her. "We can't be together, ever! She doesn't love me! She loves another cat!"

Squirrelflight hesitated, probably wondering what to say. "You'll find another cat," she replied after a long moment of silence. "You won't even remember that you loved Dovewing."

Another cat? I thought. How could any she-cat ever be as beautiful as Dovewing?

Yet, at the same time, Squirrelflight's words gave me a tiny bit of hope. Maybe I could somehow find another perfect she-cat and have her as my mate.

"Fine," I grumbled. "I'll go talk to Bramblestar."

"I'll tell Bramblestar that you don't need to talk to him if you agree to go hunting with Cloudtail now," Squirrelflight meowed.

I considered the offer for a moment. I didn't feel like doing a whole lot of anything, but hunting sounded better than being lectured by the ThunderClan leader.

"Fine," I meowed.