Chapter 4

A.N. Jace is a sleepy little cutie~ (you looking, Sam? >:3)

(Jace p.o.v.)

The next morning when I woke up, I felt a... warmth next to me.
I opened my eyes to find Sam asleep by my side, and our arms wrapped around each other. I temporarily freaked out, but remembered last night.

So that wasn't a dream... I thought.

I had to admit, when Sam had hugged me, I was scared. But once I realized that he wasn't going to hurt me, I... fell asleep in his arms.

It was strange... but I actually felt like someone cared. Two people, for that matter. Kizuato and Sam... honestly, I didn't think that Sam would ever stop torturing me, but I guess it's good to be wrong once in a while.

The sun had barely risen yet, and so I drifted off to sleep again.

***

The second time I woke up, it was to a loud argument.

"What the hell were you doing to him? Didn't I say to leave him alone?" That was Kizuato's voice, and he sounded angry...

"I didn't do anything to Jace! I came out here last night to help him, he was having a nightmare!" Sam sounded equally frustrated.

"Oh, sure, like I'd believe that. Why won't you just-"

"STOP!" I had to say something.

They both quit yelling and turned to face me, and I suddenly felt embarrassed.

"Please, don't fight. Kizuato, Sam didn't do anything to me last night. I was having a nightmare and he woke me up, and calmed me down afterwards." Kizuato looked surprised, as did Sam.

"He... didn't do anything..?" My cobalt-haired friend still sounded uncertain, and I nodded.

"I told you I didn't hurt him!" Sam snapped. But his eyes softened as he turned to me. "Thank you, Jace. And by the way, your bedhead is cute." He laughed, not cruelly, but genuine laughter. I blushed and looked away, quickly raking my fingers through my hair to tame it.

"Sam, we need to get to school... go get ready. Jace, feel free to help yourself to anything in the fridge. Do whatever you want... do you need anything?" Kizuato asked.

I wanted to draw... but my right hand was broken. I wasn't able to use it, which, if I wasn't ambidextrous, would be a nightmare. That's because my art was my second source of income (the first being my part-time job at the local bookstore.)

"U-um, do you have any paper and pencils I could use?"

"Sure. Sam, I think you have some drawing paper in your desk... can he use some of that?" Kizuato looked to Sam. Sam shrugged.

"Fine with me. And there are some pencils there too... some 2H, H, and HB ones. I never draw, so I think you could put those to good use if you like." He told me. I wondered what had changed him so much... he was different. He frowned. "Wait, are you left handed then?"

"N-no, I'm ambidextrous, actually. I can write and draw with both hands." Sam's eyes widened.

"That's fucking amazing." He grinned.