Chapter 1 - The Chase

The light of the tunnel blinded Vickey as she ran. She did not dare to turn around, did not dare to look, as she already knew what was coming for her. A small, sharp-bladed knife that would soon be bloodstained. That was just what he wanted.  

She was sprinting now, badly due to her 3 inch heels, her breathing heavy and sluggish. However, running in high heels was the least of her worries as the rush of danger chased her down to the canal.    

Vickey was 9 when she met Eli, he was the new boy at school, an Emo, a loner, a bad boy, the kind that would back-talk the teacher and get sent to detention but just not care. Vickey thought she had changed that, though.  

Within the first month of their friendship Eli had stopped back-talking and was getting less and less rebellious by the day.   Since then he had become a childhood friend. They had grown up together through school, tackled more 'family' problems than they thought existed, but it all began to fade when Eli turned 16.  

On his 16th birthday he had had a huge house party, the whole school came just to get drunk and for the opportunity to get laid, but while Vickey  had expected to sit and chat in the corner with Eli he had rushed upstairs.  

She went to investigate, knowing him he was throwing up in the toilet.   "Are you chucking up in there because you had better warn me if..." Vickey stuttered to a halt at the sight in the bathroom. There were drugs spread out all over the floor and blood in the bath of a dead boy who was being pathetically wrapped up in the shower curtains.  

As Vickey looked around she could see all of the boys were dripping with sweat, nervous and fearful of what they had done all apart from Eli. The only concern on his face was the fact that Vickey had just walked in.  

Slowly, he dipped his hand in his pocket. Vickey knew she should run but she couldn't as shock had pinned her to the spot.  

His hand emerged, a dull, rusted kitchen knife clung between his fingers, twisting, rocking gently. He started coming toward her, his arm outstretched and shaking violently. She could feel his cold breath on her neck as Eli began to press harder.  

Vickey could feel the tingles of the first incision being pressed against her neck. "ELI!" a shout from across the room made Vickey jump and Eli turn as if to scorn the person who dared to shout at him in his conquest.    

It had been Justin who had shouted out, a school girl crush of Vickey's once upon a time.   "STOP IT! WHAT ARE YOU DOING!?" It seemed as if this was an extremely bad thing to do as everybody's faces dropped at the sound.  

The knife had turned on Justin now and Eli progressed faster and faster, more threateningly and more purposefully. The look on Justin's face showed that he had just sent himself to his grave. Eli pushed the knife slowly, tormentingly.  

He twisted it, and as it dug deeper into Justin's chest the blood seeped out, rushing down, soaking slowly into his shirt, Justin whispered something that meant the world to Vickey, "I've always loved you Vic, RUN!"    

And so the chase began, through alley ways, down steps, under tunnels and over bridges.  

Vickey had been sprinting for longer than humanly possible now and as she involuntarily slowed down she could hear the heavy breathing of her best friend, her killer.  

Her pace began to lessen and her head drew to the thought of how death would feel, whether there would be an afterlife, whether she would be with Justin after all,  whether it would be peaceful and quick or slow and painful.  

She hoped that if Eli had ever been her friend he would make it quick, but she had a strong feeling he would only have satisfaction from a slow and painful one. Vickey stopped, she knew it was not worth it to speed up again, he would always catch up.