0.3

I didn't sleep that night. I curled up on the floor and closed my eyes, but the sounds inside the dirty cages kept me awake. I'd stopped thinking of them as cells. They were cages, just like for animals. I knew I was trying with all my might to separate myself from them, but as I laid there in the cold, all alone, I began to feel that deep, sinking terror - the feeling of being completely out of control. No matter how much I tried, I was becoming one of them.

Someone let out a wail from further down the hall, and I instinctively pulled my knees tighter against my chest. I tucked my elbows into my lap and squeezed my eyes shut, but it did nothing to block out the sounds or the crushing atmosphere.

I wanted to go home. I would have given anything to go back home to my mother, to sleep in my own bed, wake up to steaming hot cocoa, and never watch these games again.

Sometime during the night, at around one or two in the morning, the soldiers brought Leo back to his cage. Their steps were uneven. Leo was limping.

"Let go of me," the Unnatural hissed, cursing softly in pain.

"My apologies, your highness," one of the soldiers said sarcastically. They slammed the door shut with a clang and I flinched, startled.

I could hear Braken tap on the bars softly. Tap tap tap. A few minutes later, Leo sighed. "Yeah, I'm fine."

There was a long pause.

"No, they just ... used that weird thing. Remember a few years ago when Stephen Walking nearly broke out and stole that box thing? Yeah, that."

Shorter pause this time.

"I told you, I'm fine."

There was only time for a breath before he spoke again.

"Alright, alright. I just don't want you to worry." Leo sighed softly. "Howell was there." It sounded like he was picking at the dirt on the window, but I couldn't tell. It was too dark, and I didn't want to get up. Braken made a tiny squeaking noise, and Leo's voice hardened. "Yes, again. Consider yourself lucky no one has the nerve to touch you." There was an angry huff, a pause, and then Leo said, "I'm sorry, Braken. I didn't mean to say that. I just ..." His voice trailed off and I heard him try to smother his soft crying with his hand. "Braken, I can't do this anymore. I can't take it. I just want to die."

This wasn't what I had expected to hear. Sure, he'd screamed it out at me hours ago, but I didn't think he actually meant it. I sat up slowly and crept toward the window. I couldn't sleep, and I figured this would give me some sort of insight into Leo's life here.

"I can say anything I want," he snapped. "What are they going to do, kill me?" He started to laugh, but it mixed with the tears and ruined the effect.

"Are you okay?" I whispered, and he let out a yelp in surprise.

"Shut up, Rogue," he muttered.

"My name is Joel," I said defensively. "And I asked you a question."

"And I have every right to remain silent. Leave me alone, Rogue. It's none of your business."

"Did they heal you?"

"Can you even understand English, or are you just as stupid as you are heartless?"

I felt my anger boiling up. I wasn't stupid, and I wasn't heartless. He had no right to accuse me of being so. "Look, we're both stuck in the same situation, so we might as well get along. I just thought I'd ask. You're welcome for the help."

"Don't you ever offer your help again," Leo snapped.

"Why not?"

"Because Howell was there."