1.5

"Who touched my box?" Gus nearly screamed, bursting into the little apartment. 

Leo bolted upright and tripped over himself with a shriek, and I think he scared me more than Gus did. I jumped up and knocked the chair over, my eyes darting frantically across the room, still half asleep. I thought we'd been caught.

Braken didn't move until Gus marched over to him, and then his shoulders tightened and he curled up a little tighter. I could see him trying to hide the bear under his chest, but Gus grabbed his shoulder and turned him over roughly. Braken shrieked in pain as he dragged him to his feet, but the Unnatural kept the teddy bear's paw held tightly in his fist.

"That's mine," Gus snapped, his voice cracking as he tried to take it away.

Braken stumbled back and quickly pressed his fist against his chest, making a little circle, but he didn't give it back. He was apologizing, but he didn't want to give it up.

"Give it to me," the other ordered, holding his hand out forcefully. Braken shook his head and backed up again, and I quickly grabbed Leo to stop him from lunging at Gus.

"Braken, give it to him," I said through gritted teeth, trying to keep Leo from breaking out of my grip.

Braken shook his head and started to cry, holding the teddy bear up to his chest. He bit his lip and rubbed his eyes, trying to keep his emotions in, but Gus reached forward and snatched the bear's other paw, yanking it out of Braken's hand, and the Unnatural choked out a wail. He stumbled and fell, and I let go of Leo long enough for him to grab him before he crashed.

Gus ran to the other side of the room and jammed the teddy bear back in its box, shoving it back into the cabinet. "I told you not to touch my box," he snapped, slamming the cabinet door shut.

Braken flinched, now sitting on the couch with his head ducked and Leo's arm around his shoulders. Varien shuffled into the room, curious about all the commotion, and then leaned against the wall, watching with interest.

"Hey, Gus?" I asked hesitantly.

"What?" he said sharply.

"Um ... thanks for letting us stay here," I mumbled.

He frowned in surprise. "Oh. You're welcome, I guess." An awkward silence settled between us, made more uncomfortable by Braken's muffled sniffs. "So," Gus started, clearing his throat, "you guys hungry?"

Most of us nodded, and he went to the fridge, pulling out milk and eggs. I watched as Leo's suspicious eyes followed his every move, noticing how he stiffened every time Gus came within five feet of him. Braken winced as his friend's fingers tightened on his shoulder, but watched with curiosity as Gus cracked the eggs in a pan and a sizzling filled the air.

"Sorry, I'm not a very good cook," Gus said over his shoulder. "But Eoin's worse, and I doubt any of you know what you're doing."

I actually could cook, but I didn't say anything. The smell that filled the air made my mouth water. I felt like I hadn't eaten real food in years. I almost couldn't stop myself from grabbing the cooking eggs out of the pan and immediately devouring them.

The eggs' sizzling grew louder, and suddenly Braken flinched and quickly drew his hands up to his chest. "What's wrong?" Leo murmured. He waited as Braken answered, and then frowned. "It's okay. It's not going to hurt you. And if he ever comes near you again -" Leo's glare burned into Gus' back. "- then I'll personally rip his head off."

"Whoa, calm down, Leo," I said. "No one's going to rip anyone's head off."

"Now where's the fun in that?" Varien chuckled.