Chapter 1

Gavin was just another dragon in the NightWing island. He wasn't a war veteran, he wasn't a dragon princess (though at times, he wished he was)and he wasn't some kind of assassin that kills enemies. He wasn't really important. The mountain rumbled under his talons as he walked to his cave. 

He was only six-years-old, and he already looked like an adult dragon. He was constantly ridiculed about his own scales. "Weirdo", "freak", and he was sometimes even called "avocado" by senior NightWings. What was an avocado, anyway? 

His leathery wings were green in color, and no other NightWing on the island had green wings, nor did they have names with no meaning. "Hey there, useless," a NightWing dragonet mocked as he walked by Gavin's cave. Gavin hissed under his breath. I am not useless, Gavin thought angrily. He was scorned just because of his colors and name. He was just as equal as every other NightWing. Why couldn't they see it?

Gavin laid on his side as he snorted. At least being in a society with his own kind was better than being out in the battlefield. Queen Andesine, the current SkyWing queen, is trying to control all of the dragons of Pyrrhia. It sounds insane, but its true, and she somehow caused the dragon tribes to turn on each other, killing each other in the process. Even the lazy and pathetic RainWings are in this conflict. The NightWings, however, try their best to stay as distant from the war as possible. Gavin could never understood the SkyWing's potential goal. The dragons of Pyrrhia had already survived the SandWing Sucession, and now they have to suffer through another vile war. More innocent dragons being killed all because of power and glory.
Gavin's talons began to tingle. He could never understand why is claws did that. Was it an illness? Was he sick? His mother took him to the healer dragons numerous times before, but she always got the same response: "He's a healthy but strange dragonet."
As Gavin curled up into a ball to go to sleep for the night, he heard a faint hum in his ears. Following that was a muffled whisper.
"Power... Death.. War.."
Voices in his head? That was new. But Gavin couldn't tell his mother. She was already worried about the tingling in his talons and the tendency to mumble strange things in his sleep.
Maybe he really was mentally ill.
But he couldn't tie the words together. Power? What power? Who's dying? And most importantly, what war?
He pushed those thoughts away before he finally drifted off to sleep.

Gavin woke up to the smell of chickens. When he opened his emerald green eyes, he saw his mother. The deep azure NightWing smiled at her son. "Good morning," Starflicker said. "I found some chickens near a scavenger den. Now, eat, little one. You have combat training today."
Gavin was quick to eat his breakfast. After devouring the upset hens that pecked at his claws, he briskly ran out of his home cave and towards the battle training area. Near the NightWing palace, close to the entrance was a small group of NightWing dragonets and one large dragoness who was covered in scars from head to claw. Her scales shimmered in the sunlight, reflecting tints of purple and blue off of her dark scales. Gavin was quick to notice that every NightWing in the group didn't have one patch of green on them, though some had green eyes like his. But none had green wings, or green back spikes. "Let the torment begin," Gavin hissed to himself before he walking into the class of dragons. He shoved through some dragonets to see the NightWing who was blanketed in scars.

But as he listened to the dragoness's speech about how pathetic the dragonets in her group were, he noticed that the dragonets weren't paying attention to her

But as he listened to the dragoness's speech about how pathetic the dragonets in her group were, he noticed that the dragonets weren't paying attention to her. They were staring at him.
He held his head down, trying to become small, but he could still feel the curious looks sliding under his scales with each dragon he pushed past as he attempted to backpedal out of the crowd. He did not like all of the attention on him. There was too many silent, judging eyes on him and it frightened him. Maybe he should just leave and run back to the comfort of his mother. Yes, that would be nice-
"HEY!" A voice suddenly shouted. Before Gavin could even confront the dragon, he was roughly knocked to the ground. The other dragonets laughed and chuckled. "This freak ran into me!"
Freak.
Gavin stumbled up, instantly facing a large dragonet that was way taller than him. He was black and he had a small pink scar across his snout. His eyes were bright red and it terrorized Gavin. Before Gavin could say anything that may had caused him to get bitten, the head dragoness of the group spoke up. "Let's go, you underdeveloped worms! Stop yammering and show me your inner beast!"
The dragonets, including the black one with red eyes all said, "Yes, Ms. Silhouette," as if on cue.
The dragonet glared his teeth at Gavin, and before walking off, he says, "I have better things to do than beating up a weirdo like you."
After this, Silhouette taught the dragonets basic combat moves. Gavin was alright at fighting, but alright isn't going to save him from enormous SkyWings or other adult dragons if they ever decided to attack him.
During the training, while Gavin's tail was being smashed on by Silhouette's massive claws, a couple of NightWing guards approached him. For a moment Gavin thought the guards were impressed with his combat skills (even though Silhouette calls his fighting moves "horrendous"), but the guards simply said "the queen needs to see you."
Gavin opened his mouth to ask a question, but he was almost immediately scolded by a guard.
"Let's go. NOW. We do not want to keep Her Majesty waiting."
Gavin didn't say anything after that, but he raised his eyebrow in confusion. Why would the queen want to see him? Was he in trouble?
Gavin leaped into the air and followed the guards to the Queen's palace.