Chapter 2

Today.. more people arrived for consultation.

Some have just been diagnosed with simple anxiety while others with panic disorders.

The patient entering now will be my last patient for the day.

●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●

A beautiful young lady entered. If I were to guess, she'd be around her age. She looked elegant in the pink sunday dress she was wearing.

"Good morning Seonsang-nim!" Were the first words which escaped her mouth.

"I'm here for my check up!" She seems to be excited to know that she's sick.

"Alright, if you please follow me to the lab, we will be doing the routine check up." I said with a monotone voice.

"Arasseo!"

.....

I noticed something from the results. I asked her to take another test.. and it was just what I suspected...

"Well... how'd I do doc?"

I can't seem to find the courage to tell her. Judging by her appearance, she's one of those happy-go-lucky type of people. This might break her heart... but then, I have to do my job.

"Ms. Park, whatever I tell you... you must remain calm and look on a bright side"

I tried to sound convincing but ended up sounding the way I always do.. monotonic..

I saw the glow in her eyes fade for a while then came back.

"Arraseo doc"

She flashed me a smile.. but this time it seemed forced.

"Ms. Park... you have an incurable illness wherein the nerve cells in your midbrain are degenerating. The midbrain is what controls body movements so you might experience difficulty in moving.

The main symptom is  the occurence of tremors.. this often occurs in your limbs

Symptoms include stiff and aching muscles, slow movement, weakness of face and throat muscles, difficulty with walking and balance and freezing.."

She looked down but didn't seem surprised... is this, possibly her second check up?

I just decided to continue talking

"Body movements will be regulated due to the Basal ganglia. Its cells require dopamine and acethylcholine. But since the nerve cells producing dopamine are degenerating, your balance will be thrown off.

This illness is similar to the macrocerebullar degeneration.

This illness is commonly known as.."

"Parkinson's disease"

She cut me off. It seems like this isn't her first check up.

"I know what your thinking and yes.. this isn't my first check up. I mean, I guess I've had more than second opinions..

Dr. Jung actually recomended me to you saying that you might be able to diagnose me properly. I guess now I know what am I sick with right?

Gomapsumnida Seonsang-nim for your time.. I'll get going now"

She bowed and left quietly.

That's a first

I thought to myself.. that was my first patient that remained calm.. she didn't even cry. And instead of asking for a cure, she just thanked me and left.