Chapter Eleven

After about a month of secret meet ups on the prince's balcony and days of just flirting at the market, Roman had an idea. He made his way to Virgil's house, hoping he wasn't there. He knocked on he door and was greeted by Patton with a wide smile.

"Your Highness! A pleasure to see you again! Won't you come in?" he said, welcoming him inside.

The prince nodded to him with a smile, secretly wondering if Virgil had told his parents about them. They agreed to keep their relationship secret, but Patton already suspected something before the teenagers had even figured out their feelings.

As Roman answered, he lowered his hood. "It's a pleasure to be back, uh, is Virgil here?" he asked.

Patton frowned, shaking his head. "Sorry, your Highness, he just went down to the market to get some pastries."

"Good, I actually need your help," the prince said, earning a confused and intrigued look from Patton. "When's Virgil's birthday?"

"December 19th," Patton replied instantly. "But why-"

"Perfect, now I have a commission to request of you, that I would like to help with personally."

Virgil was heading back with the pastries when he was approached from behind. He didn't need to turn to see who it was. He stayed silent as he continued walking without acknowledging him.

"I know your secret Virgil..." Barry muttered from behind him. The artist could practically hear him smirking. "I would keep an eye on your little prince if I were you..."

Virgil's eyes widened as he stopped, turning to see he was gone. He felt fear and anxiety crawling through his skin as he looked around. Barry was no where in sight. What had he meant by there? Did he know about his relationship with the prince? The artist boy didn't waste another minute to look for him before hurrying back towards his home. He opened the door quickly, hearing his father, Patton, talking to someone.

"So we have black-"

"Uh, hey Dad! I'm back with the pastries and-" Virgil started, walking into the room and freezing as his eyes locked onto a person he hadn't expected to see. "Your Highness?"

Prince Roman smiled, nervously and inconspicuously moving to block the view of what he and Patton had been discussing. Patton did the same, approaching his son with a smile as he took the pastries from him.

"Hey kiddo! The prince was just taking me up on that commission offer!" he explained, covering Roman's secret. "He said he'd have to leave soon though."

The prince didn't recall saying that, but the look Patton gave him made it clear what he meant, so he nodded, rubbing the back of his head. "It's good to see you again, Virgil," he said, acting as though they hadn't been kissing each other until they couldn't breathe just two days ago. "But yes, unfortunately, as Patton said, I must return to the palace."

Roman moved to exit but Virgil stopped him respectfully. "Perhaps I could walk his Highness back through the tunnels?" he asked, giving him a look with his eyes. He didn't want him walking back in the open after that run in with Barry, but he hoped the prince would assume he wanted to walk with him.

Catching on, Roman pretended to consider it before nodding with a slight shrug. "I don't see why not."

The two of them excused themselves and headed down into the tunnel. They were silent for a few moments, walking with nothing but the sound of their breathing and footsteps. That was until Virgil suddenly pushed the prince against the wall, leaning in close. Roman let out a muffled gasp, but smirked because he'd expected it. He chuckled a little.

"So, what were you doing at my house, Princey?" Virgil asked, smirking as he looked into his eyes.

The prince raised an eyebrow, smirking just as much. "Taking your dad up on his offer, simple as that. What I'm more interested in," he said, suddenly backing the artist up to pin him against the other wall, "is why you think you're allowed to boss me around."

Virgil rolled his eyes, ignoring the blush on his cheeks. "Don't act so arrogant, we both know you're not," he said to him. "Who's to say I'm not letting you think I'm affected this?"

"Because..." Prince Roman muttered, smirking as he moved close to his ear. His heart rate picked up involuntarily. "You're getting goosebumps, Virgil..."

The artist blushed, annoyed at his skin for reacting that way. It was something completely out of his control. "Now, why did you want to come down here?" the prince said.

"Can't I just want to walk his Highness home?" he replied with a fake pout. Roman laughed a little, before unpinning him from the wall.

"Yeah, you can," he said, offering his hand. Virgil looked at in shock. "What? It's just a hand, it won't bite you." The artist boy cautiously took it, staring at their hands for a moment. "Virgil, what's wrong?"

He blinked, shaking out his head. "I-It's just... it's been a while since I've actually held someone's hand..." he said really quietly. It was something he was always self conscious about when in any form of relationship. "I don't... want to mess anything up..."

The prince looked at him in surprise before frowning sadly. "Oh, Virgil..." he murmured, interlocking their fingers. "You don't have worry."

"I always worry," Virgil said quickly. "It's in my nature..."

Roman stopped to turn and look at him, eyes soft and comforting as he reached to hold his face. "Virgil, I just want you to feel comfortable around me," he said. "I care about you deeply, and I want you to know that."

The artist smiled shyly, moving his face to lean against the prince's hand. His words touched his heart more than he cared to admit. He didn't want anything to go wrong between the two of them. He just wanted to be with him.

"I care about you too Princey."