Chapter Twenty-One

Virgil's eyes fluttered open, seeing the prince's peaceful sleeping face right in front of him. His chest was warm upon seeing him, but tight with the knowledge of what they would be doing that day. The artist bit his lip as his heart rate picked up, fearing what would happen. He let out a shaky breath and leaned forward to kiss Roman gently. He was attempting to distract himself from the worries, focusing on the boy he loved. To his surprise, he began to respond. He sighed against the prince's lips as the kiss became more passionate.

Within moments Roman was on top of him, smirking at him as his eyes finally opened. "Mornin' pretty boy," Virgil said in a teasing voice as their noses brushed together. The prince rolled his eyes at the 'pretty boy' comment and leaned back in to kiss him again. After another few moments of the two of them just kissing each other, the artist spoke up. "Alright, alright, that's enough Princey, we need to go downstairs and get ready. We're taking back the palace today, remember?"

Roman let out a groan, refusing to get off the boy beneath him. He rolled his eyes and pushed him to fall off him and onto the bed. "Hey!" he protested as Virgil fled from the bed, giggling. "Come back here!"

"Nope!" he exclaimed running out of his room and downstairs, laughing. He could hear the prince chasing after him, making him look behind him. He squeaked as Roman caught up and pinned him playfully to the wall. "Princey!"

Roman chuckled a little, leaning in to bump their foreheads together as the other boy giggled. They brushed noses, smiling affectionately at each other. They were completely unaware of Virgil's parents in the dining room watching them. Patton was beaming, feeling as though he was about to burst with joy to see his son so happy. Logan also had a smile on his face, reaching out out to brush his husband's hand with his own. They shared a look and interlocked their fingers before getting the boys' attention. "Good morning you two love birds," Patton called with a smile.

The two of them flushed as their eyes widened. They looked over at the two of them in shock, realizing they had indeed been watching them the whole time; not that it was that big a deal, they hadn't been making out or anything.

"M-Mornin' Dad," Virgil managed as the prince unpinned him from the wall. He rubbed the back of his neck awkwardly, blushing furiously.

Patton just smiled at the two embarrassed teenagers who were walking over to join them at the table. There were muffins on a plate for them to take, each of them doing so with a thank you to the chef. "You two are really cute together," he commented, making both boys blush again. "I'm very glad you make each other so happy!"

The artist looked at Roman, smiling at him. The prince melted under his soft gaze, leaning toward him so that they could rest their heads against each other affectionately. "Me too," Virgil murmured, not breaking eye contact with him. "I can't wait for after all this ends and we can actually do things together as a couple other than prepare for a miniature war."

Everyone at the table chuckled at the artist's snarky comment. "Yeah, we should be leaving soon," Patton admitted, standing up with Logan.

"Get ready to move out," Logan instructed, making the other two boys stand up and start moving with purpose.

Within half an hour, they were entering the tunnels right on schedule. There was tension among them, a heavy silence weighing in the air. When the time came for to split up, the reality of the situation started to hit Roman. Virgil was saying goodbye to his fathers, a sad and worried expression on Patton's face as he hugged him.

"Take care of him," he murmured to his son's ear. Virgil knew what he meant, hugging him a little tighter. "But please, take care of yourself too."

As they continued to hold each other, Logan came up, surprising the prince as he hugged him. "Keep him safe, your Highness," he said quietly before pulling away quickly. "But also let him protect you. When he cares about a person, he will protect and care for them with all his being. You two can support each other perfectly if you let the other care for you."

Roman's eyes were wide as he comprehended what he was saying, nodding affirmatively with a determined expression. He looked over as Virgil pulled away from hug with Patton and went to briefly hug Logan. With sad and concerned smiles, they parted ways, Virgil and Roman heading for the servants quarters, and Logan and Patton heading toward the kitchen. 

The prince and the artist walked in a heavy silence before Roman reached out to hold his boyfriend's hand. Virgil looked at him with a smile as they paused and he looked at the wall. Roman's gaze followed, noticing why they'd stopped with a smile. 

The artist placed a hand on the wall, brushing over the scene. Roman placed his hand over his, just like he'd done about a month ago. Virgil looked up at the prince, eyes shimmering deep brown in the low firelight of the tunnel. Roman's breath escaped him as they gazed at each other. "Let me come with you..." he murmured, making the artist's jaw dropped open a little. He began to protest, but the prince spoke with certainty. "Please, Virgil... I want to be there with you. I want to be there for you. You and I both know this won't be easy, so please, let me support you."

Virgil didn't know what to say. He was serious, not taking his eyes away from his boyfriend's. The artist reluctantly nodded, leaning up to press a kiss to his lips. Their eyes were locked, and they could feel each other's breath on their lips.

"Together, we can be unstoppable."