Chapter Thirteen

The Christmas Eve Ball, the annual masquerade ball of the kingdom hosted by the royals in the palace. Prince Roman was in his room, looking himself up and down once more to be sure he wasn't too obvious. It was traditional that the royal child–or children–was to attend the ball. He knew almost everyone in the kingdom would want to dance with the prince, and he certainly knew that many ladies would be after the title of his wife. Unfortunately for them, Roman wasn't exactly interested. He smiled, thinking about Virgil and how desperately wanted to see him in that suit. Nonetheless, he could feel the excitement in the air as he headed downstairs to join the ball as guests started arriving.

Virgil, on the other hand, was fidgeting with the black rose uncomfortably as he approached the ballroom beside his parents. He'd been coaxed into it by Patton, who'd just been too excited for him to turn him down; that, and he knew Roman was expecting him to be there. The prince had gone through the trouble to work with his dad to make his birthday gift, and played a hands-on part in its creation. The artist smiled as he folded his arms tighter, feeling almost as though he was hugging him through the fabric.

As they entered the room, Patton and Logan disappeared into the crowd. Virgil panicked, looking around for them but was unable to find them. His breathing picked up and his heart raced. There were too many people, too much noise. He felt like he'd been shoved underwater, and he desperately needed to come up for air. As he gasped for breath, he managed to stumble through the crowd toward the large doors that lead to a balcony.

Roman faked another smile as the woman he'd been stuck dancing with continued to go on about the prince, completely unaware of who she was talking to behind the mask. Out of the corner of his eye, he caught sight of someone very hurriedly leaving the shimmering ballroom. His eyes widened as he recognized his suit, causing him to hastily excuse himself as the dance ended to pursue the artist boy.

Head in his hands, Virgil leaned on the railing of the balcony. He was taking deep and shaky breaths, cursing himself for being convinced to come to the ball when he knew his anxiety would take a hold of him. Every time he found himself in around a large group of people, its cold hands closed around his throat and its words of doubt seized his mind. He couldn't count the number of times he'd discreetly slipped away from an event because of it. Prince Roman was nowhere to be found, probably having found someone else to spend the night with. He'd probably forgotten about Virgil entirely. The thought made his chest tighter. He sighed heavily, looking down at his hands.

"Excuse me? Are you alright?"

Virgil jumped and whipped around to see another masked guest approaching him. He internally swore, thinking he'd managed to get away without catching anyone's attention. He reached up quickly, touching his own mask to make sure it was still in place.

"I'm fine, sorry," he said, looking down.

Unbeknownst to Virgil, the prince frowned, tilting his head in confusion. "What do you have to apologize for?" he asked joining him at the railing. He tried to remain anonymous, wanting to surprise Virgil with his real identity later. "I was asking if you're alright, because you don't appear to be."

"I don't like social events," Virgil mumbled. "They make my anxiety kick into overdrive."

Roman frowned, unhappy with this response. He should've known better. "Is there anything I can do to make this more enjoyable for you?"

"Why? That's not your job, and you don't even know me," he replied. The prince smiled a little, reaching up to remove his mask. Virgil's eyes widened as he recognized him, immediately lowering his head. "Y-Your Highness, my apologies."

Roman shook his head. "Please Virgil, no apologies," he said, reaching to take his hand. Virgil looked up in shock. Were they in a position for him to be calling him that? "As the prince, it is my duty to make sure each of my citizens is happy, and more importantly, you are happy. I hope you like the suit?"

Virgil smiled as he took off his own mask. He began to feel more comfortable and confident. "I love it Princey," he said quietly as he fiddled with the fabric. "I can't believe you actually worked on this for a month and I didn't realize."

"Well, I had to make it a surprise," Roman replied. "And your father helped me a great deal with what colors to use and how to actually, you know, sew it."

They were quiet for a moment, and awkward weight in the air around them. Sucking in a breath, Roman willed himself to speak. "V-Virgil? I wanted to apologize," he said, making the artist look at him in shock. "While making sure you didn't know about the suit and planning the ball, I had avoided you. I can imagine how hard that must have been. I'm so sorry, for any doubts or unpleasant feelings I may have caused by my absence."

"I accept your apology, Princey," he replied quietly with a soft smile. Roman returned it before offering him a hand.

"Shall we dance?"

The artist boy's heart was racing as he hesitated. The prince was actually asking to dance, with him. He nodded silently as he placed his hand in his. Roman guided him back toward the ballroom before pausing in the doorway and looking up. Virgil was confused until he followed his gaze.

Prince Roman smiled a little, breathless as he looked back at Virgil. "Mistletoe..." he breathed. They were both blushing as they made eye contact. Roman summoned his courage, slipping a hand under his cheek. "May I kiss you, Virgil?"

Virgil nodded slowly, letting his eyes slip closed as the prince's lips softly met his own.