pilot

"I NEED A STICK

"I NEED A STICK."

Piper tosses me the pack distractedly as she prattles on loudly to Rohan. I slip a stick of gum past my lips, tucking the wrapper in the pocket of my denim dungaree and toss the pack back to her.

"O. M. G. He must have messed up real good this time. Looks like they called his parents." Piper gushes around the wad of gum in her mouth, her glossy lips curled in mischief.

"Piper, I don't think you should be so excited about this. He could really be in some serious shit this time." Rohan chastises her mildly, arms crossed as he looks towards the school buildings.

"Serves him right. You know he deserves this. He's a total mess. The worst of us all. We all know that." Piper defends, smacking her gum loudly with a pout.

I lean against the wall of the Komorebi café, chewing absentmindedly on strawberry flavored gum as my eyes take in every detail of what's happening in front of school.

Four -no doubt expensive- black cars with all tinted windows, are lined up in front of the administrative block. That's where Principal Wright's office is. Men in black suits stand around the cars with wires in their ears and their stances guarded. The gears in my brain are working overtime as I estimate how many they are and if they are armed when the doors to the building burst open. A woman in a tight black skirt and an elegant chiffon blouse sashays down the stairs escorted by more guards. My eyes widen when I notice one of the guards is looking our way.

"Shit." Rohan curses tersely under his breath.

He must have seen them looking over here too.

He yanks Piper after him into the café, leaving me to decide whether or not to follow. I pull my baseball hat lower over my eyes and squat pretending to tie my shoe laces. My eyes remain trained on the figure of the woman, only then noticing a somewhat familiar boy trailing after her. Now, they're talking about something and it doesn't seem like they're getting along. I can hear their raised voices all the way from here. Soon after, he storms away and they let him go. One of the guards whispers something to the woman, cocking his head in the direction of the café. She nods, gets into the car and then they drive off.

How strange.

I get off the ground, dust my knee and blow a bubble with my gum. That isn't something you see every day, that's for sure. I make my way around the back of the café, not feeling like joining the others. My mind is elsewhere, plus they totally ditched me. Some friends they are.

 Some friends they are