Part 2

The apartment looked exactly the same since he saw it last, which wasn't that long ago. Yet, he feels a strange rush being here. It's like he's somewhere new. In many ways he is somewhere new, being here with Jackie- trying to be a friend. He's sitting on the couch just across from Jackie, on his fourth beer.

   The silence seemingly unbreakable. She gazes in his direction, her heartbeat pausing, and jumping at the sight of him. A guilty sweat lingers through her palms, she wipes them against her pants. Staring at the floor he sits with his legs wide, with a beer dangling between the fingers of his right hand- she glances to catch a glimpse of that forced effort creeping onto his facial features. It was a look she recognized, that odd desire to- to please her. A whisper within her wanted that, missed him trying for her- just for her.

"So how-" They both say unanimously. Hyde nods towards her, gesturing for her to proceed. She grins, her gaze softening.

"How's the record store?" She questions, already half knowing the answer from what Fez tells her.

"Good." He nods, lips puckered, taking another large sip.

Jackie's brows scrunch slightly, taking a sip herself. "Soo.. this is awkward."

"Yup." Hyde acknowledges, taking another drink. "Hating each other seems like the easiest solution, no?"

She giggles at the absurdity of the truth. "Surprisingly, yeah."

   The creeping silence lingers once again. Hyde feels an urgency to break it, an instinct to try and be decent- for her, as if he owed her something. He wants to punch himself for it but he can see it in her eyes, hear it in her voice- she wants to be friends with him.

"So you and Fez, how's that?" Hyde asks trying to sound collected, situating himself deeper into the couch.

Jackie smiles blissfully, "It's actually kind of- great."

"Yup. Like I said, he's a good guy. Told you, you'd find someone great." He smirks slightly, pleased with himself for not screwing that up.

"Yeah, well Fez is perfect for me." Jackie acknowledges, "We like the same things, music, clothes, magazines..."

"Mm." Hyde murmurs, swallowing a sharpening pain within his chest. "Too bad he ended up with you, poor bastard. He should leave before you get all crazy." He complains.

   Jackie rolls her eyes. She figured he was mean because that's the way they were before. They hated each other before they loved each other. This was easier, Jackie knew, for him.

"Oh please!" She playfully scoffs, her features hardening slightly. "I'm the best thing to happen to a man, to you too! You met your dad, got the record store, became a good man with me." She rambles on proudly, "Don't even get me started on what I did for Michael!"

"Sure." Hyde mumbles, "Best thing to happen to a man? Please, Jackie, you're like a disease with weird symptoms."

   His words hurt her a tad bit more than usual. It is just enough for her to grimace, for her to feel a familiar anger. She chooses to ignore his insults.

"Shut up, Hyde." Jackie murmurs. "Just, finish your damn beer."

Hyde sighs in regret, eyeing her torn features, "Hey- sorry, I was just kidding- I didn't mean it."

"Of course you don't." She scoffs, attempting to reel herself back in- attempting (failing) to understand him. He loved me. He loved me, and hated me. He loved me. He hates me.