Chapter 4

Melanie was actually smiling today. Her parents were quite happy, but still worried.

“mom, is it okay if I go to a party tonight with Cameron?” she said as she ate a bowl of cereal.

“You’re going out?!” Melanie’s mom was very excited about her leaving the house.

“yes mom. I have friends you know.”

“Well, I’m just very happy.” She was happy that her daughter was finally feeling better and was ready to live life like a normal teenager again. “Whose party is it?”

“It’s Taylor’s birthday party.” Melanie said.

“oh that Can-if boy?” Her mother had pronounced Caniff wrong and it irritated Melanie.

“it’s Caniff mom. And yeah.” She said defensively.

“It’s good that you’re going out honey. And you said you’re going out with Cameron?”

“yes mom.”

“I like that boy. He’s very nice.” She smiled and winked at her daughter as she took a sip of her coffee.

Melanie rolled her eyes. She hated when her mom thought there was something between her and Cameron. They were just close friends.

“okay okay”, her mother said, “So since you’re finally in a better mood, your father and I can finally go visit your aunt and see her new baby. Are you okay with staying here by yourself tonight?”

“yeah mom. Sure.” she smiled, playing it cool. She actually wanted to scream and dance because she hated her aunt; she always insulted Melanie.  And having the house to herself was exactly what she needed.

“okay, good. But that doesn’t give you have permission to stay out all night young lady. I expect you to  be back by 12am…. Okay you can stay out until 1am. Just don’t tell your father.” Her mother was always the cooler parent; Melanie couldn’t have been more grateful. “And I’ll be calling the house to make sure you’re here. You know how your aunt is, she won’t let me sleep. Haha.”

“yes mom. Okay. Thank you.” Melanie smiled.